Re-claiming yeast

I watched a few videos on washing and saving yease.

I did what the video said, I poured boiled/cooled water into the fementer after draining as much beer as possible. I used about one quart of water it, I filled the quart and one of my pint bottles. it has been about 15 hours in the fridge and there is seperation from ber to other, I say other because I was looking to se three colors Beer, yeast than sediment. I only see beer and yeast.

Should I wait longer? Did I add enough sanatized water? shoule I give up? any help would be great

It is a scottish ale 1128.

Sounds like you did fine. maybe a little more water next time and do the same thing a second time. each time you do this you leave the heavier trub behind and hopefully end up with the lighter yeast.

when ready to reuse decant the liquid as much as possible then make a starter.

Since it is already cold, shake it up good and wait a couple hours and you should see the 3 layers. Basically, you missed the layers, but as mentioned above, what you have is fine.

[attachment=0]025.JPG[/attachment]here is what it looks like

It looks fine. Next time, don’t bother with rinsing it. I don’t and repitch directly to my next beer (half a cake for lagers, one third for ales). Just reuse it within a month.

so should I use the entire jar to make a starter? Or should I seperate into smller jars?

Water washing yeast doesn’t do much but dump good yeast down the drain.

Here are all the details:

http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/1 ... posed.html

Just like ynotbrusum suggested will be fine.

+1 No need to complicate things. I’ve tried both rinsing and washing and compared with results from simply saving the slurry. There was no difference at all in the results, even through 6-7 generations.

+1 No need to complicate things. I’ve tried both rinsing and washing and compared with results from simply saving the slurry. There was no difference at all in the results, even through 6-7 generations.[/quote]
I don’t do a great job at leaving trub in the BK. Therefore, after fermentation I like to go through at least one rendition of rinsing to leave trub behind in the carboy. This method has allowed me to collect a good amount of yeast without trub.