Raw Ale aka No Boil

I attempted my first raw ale and the results were pretty interesting. However, it was a 40% Rye, Saison which was a bit over the top to begin with. Has anyone else done this? I’m thinking this might be interesting for @wilcolandzaat or anyone else trying to reduce fuel consumption or brew in their remote cabin off the grid.
The general rule is… well… you don’t boil. More specifically, you do not go over 175F (79C) where DMS forms apparently.
I have to say that I made a fine beer from this method and it did speed up my process substantially.

Sounds intresting. Maybe should try next weeks brew session

Raw is the process meant to go with your Kviek yeast for sure. Here is some more info.

http://www.milkthefunk.com/wiki/Raw_Ale
http://mutedog.beer/blog/brewing-raw-ale/

Milk the funk intresting read

All my lacto-only sours are done that way. It works fine, and makes for a super short brew day. No, I don’t kettle sour.

1 Like

You should check out the first link was well it’s by Lars who brought Kviek to the world’s attention.

This is intresting. Boil time. 60 min. Or 2 min. What. Is a boil. Only thing. I wonder. How hops will react. On short. Boil times. This guy. Who is behind. Kviek. Nice to read his blog. Haha. If you look at his brewing method. We are all anal about cleaning. And sanatizing. What i think its important. Bye the way. But he brews on old stuff

As far as hops go you either use high AA hops to get more punch or in another pot you make a small boil batch with the bittering hops in it. Flavor and aroma hops will not be effected by the lack of boil really.
No boil means no boil not even for 2 min. To pasteurize (sanitize) you do not need to boil. If you look at the link you will pasteurize milk in 15 seconds at 72C (161F).

:relaxed:His old stuff is still more attractive than a plastic bucket IMO. We as a species have been making beer for 13,000 years. You haven’t had real beer, the way it was meant to be, until you ferment it in the skull of a woolly mammoth.

I’m not sure our refined palates with all these predetermined flavor traits would actually appreciate a “grog”… IF you are into sours and the such, perhaps… :neutral_face: Sneezles61

1 Like

Beer as it was meant to be? I don’t know about all that. It’s certainly a cool early fermentation technique and cool reading. Beer is in the eye of the beholder. Personally I’m refining clean bitter pilsners and IPAs that appeal to my current palate.

Having said that when you cook your wort over an open dung fueled fire and ferment it in a wooden boat please post pics and tasting notes. If you give me enough notice and your address I’d even enjoy being a witness to it.

2 Likes

:joy: You nailed it buddy!! Sneezles61

Having beer is better than no beer if resources are slim which btw is how the IPA evolved.

1 Like

“Perhaps more compelling is the preference data showing that about half preferred the no-boil beer while another half liked the boiled batch better. As someone who has been homebrewing for almost two decades, I’ve know what it’s like to rely on the opinions of others to inform my brewing decisions. These xBmt results reminded me that, while deferring to trusted sources can certainly help make me a better brewer, trying various methods out for myself is the only way to dial in the approach that works best for me.”
From

You’re gonna need to provide some references for that one… :confused:

The India in IPA is because the East India Company needed to get beer to India were there was no beer. Hence my statement that some beer is better than none.
Some say the extra hoppiness was a way of preserving the ale over the long voyage. We know that hops does that but who knows if they knew that back in the 1760s

“The first guide to a recipe for pale ale shipped to the East does not
appear to have been printed until 1821, when the first American edition
of Andrew Ure’s Dictionary of Chemistry said: “It is well known that
other things being equal, the liquor keeps in proportion to the quantity
of hops. Fresh beer may have from a pound to a pound and a half to a
barrel of 32 gallons, June beer two pounds and a half, beer for the
month of August three pounds and for a second summer three and an half.
For India voyages, four pounds.””

I think it’s a bit of a stretch to say how it was invented… more evolved, but not worth derailing this thread. But debates are always better over a pint, so cheers! :beer:

Corrected :slight_smile:

@squeegeethree Read this.

3 Likes

Yes a lot of those myths were address in the link I posted as well but as both articles point out extra hops were added to the style although not by whom is credited or maybe for the reason they thought.