Rate your passion for brewing right now

I was refering to myself, not you. I’m so addicted to brewing that if I don’t keep an eye on it, I’ll exceed the limit. And actually I’d like to know the particulars. Like, could “the man” look at the amount of supplies I buy and determine I must be exceeding? Or do you literally have to be caught red handed with over 200g on your premise?

I’ve never heard of anyone getting arrested for breaking the limit, or being investigated. It’s mostly a conscience issue. Apply due diligence!

[quote=“Chester3”][quote=“paultuttle”]

OK, 200 for me. That’s a hefty goal, but I think I can achieve it, now if I can only get it approved SWMBO. Seriously, thanks for the info.[/quote]

I find it more beneficial to beg for forgiveness rather than ask for permission. “uh oh, Honey, you’ll never guess what I just did. I’m sooo sorry… I was fooling around with NB and placing things in my cart and whatnot, just for fun of course, when all of a sudden it just went. I don’t think I hit the submit order button… oh boy. Well, at least there’s not anything I can’t put to good use… This should probably last me a few months.” 3 weeks later . . . " :oops: uh oh, …"

:cheers: [/quote]

Oh, so I’m not the only one who’s tried that. Dude, that is so me, word for word.

I think just HAVING 200 gal wouldn’t show what time period it was brewed in! I also think The Man isn’t interested (except for the natural curiosity most guys have about brewing).

I actually thought about who might be watching when I went to a certain home brew shop. This particular place was more into supplies for people growing stuff in their basements - big time. I actually wondered if the DEA might be hiding out there writing down my license plate number. Not a brew shop I would visit again.

I think I hit 65 gallons in my first year. We’ll see this year - I’m having fun.

I’m still a rookie, but I love the hobby. For me the hardest part is planning ahead to have something always fermenting, which is my ultimate goal.

Right now I’m running low on my wife’s favorite Belgian White, my Caribou Slobber stash is down to about 12 bombers and I have 23 bombers of a porter that is still aging.

I have a crapload of empties, so I really want to fill them so that I always have an assortment of brew in various states of aging/ready for drinking. That’s really the fun part - noticing the differences over time.

[quote=“pointyskull”]I’m still a rookie, but I love the hobby. For me the hardest part is planning ahead to have something always fermenting, which is my ultimate goal.

I have a crapload of empties, so I really want to fill them so that I always have an assortment of brew in various states of aging/ready for drinking. That’s really the fun part - noticing the differences over time.[/quote]

Brew every week until your bottles are full. Then brew every other week. Then get more bottles.
Paul

[quote=“harpdog”]
I think just HAVING 200 gal wouldn’t show what time period it was brewed in! I also think The Man isn’t interested (except for the natural curiosity most guys have about brewing).[/quote]

Excellent point Harpdog! I guess it’s more the paper trail then, especially using a credit card. I agree, “the man” is probably not interested, just as he’s probably not interested if you take your homebrew to your Bro’s house, or ship it to someone.

brewing a lot more lately, always reading and designing new recipes even when I am not brewing for future batches.
I have been doing a lot of stuff that is requiring much more aging so its a long process and hogs up a lot of craboys

2 taps flowing (Belgian Wit, Black IPA)
3 fermentors with beer ready to rack to keg or bottle
1 fermentor aging a barley wine
5 cases of bottled beer
4 recipes on deck (Dusseldorf Altbier, Belgian IPA, Biere de Garde, Oktoberfest)

The only thing slowing me down right now is having a 7 week old at home. He’s awesome and my wife and I couldn’t be happier, but little man is cutting into my brewing time. I have to consider moving my brew days to brew nights when he’s asleep.

I’m down to about 300lb of malt in the basement right at the moment, so of course I just ordered another three sacks. If that tells you anything…

Family obligations only allow me to brew once or occasionally twice a month… but I brew enough to share with my club, enter comps, and keep 10 taps stocked pretty much year-round… as well as brew up a few batches just to give away as Christmas gifts.

It’s an obsession but it’s pleasin’!

I have a pregnant wife, a 2 year old, I’m taking classes, own a house, play in two bands, and have a day job, but I still manage to make time for some aspect of homebrewing (brewing, bottling, racking, making gear, buying gear, etc.), at least once a week. I’ve even managed to brew 4 of the last 5 weeks, have grains on hand for my next batch, and am building a base for my new monster mill 3 roller grinder. I’d like to get one more 6 gallon carboy (have one 6 gallon, one 6.5, and one 5) and need to get a fridge before the summer temps set in. My wife got me the advanced starter kit for Christmas, and now she regrets it, mostly because she got pregnant right after new years and can’t enjoy my labor herself :wink: .

On top of the actual brewing and various supporting activities, I’m constantly researching the various aspects of beer making and LOVE coming up with recipes. The only problem is, I find myself wanting to make something totally different each time, but I have pretty specific tastes (basically, I like brown ales), so it’s hard for me to know where to go next. Of course, brewing has caused me to reacquaint myself with IPAs, which were my favorite throughout most of college. I’m casting about for something to make after the Belgian Dubbel, but nothing’s piquing my interest…yet. I suspect over the years I will (re)discover plenty of other styles that I currently ignore. :cheers: