Ramping up?

Hello is it better to step up the fermentation temp during ramping meaning 1f to 2f per day to the temp your reaching. Or can a person just go right into the temp there ramping up to. For example let say I fermenting at 68f an after about 5days into fermentation I raise it right up to 72f or should I do 1f to 2f per day tell I at the 72f. Now I know if there a 6 degree to 10degree difference between fermentation temp an the temp I going to ramp it up to I should probably do the 1f to 2f per day I guess

Seems like you are using an ale yeast. As an example when I use US-05 or WY 1056 I hold the fermentation temperature 1° either side of 68°F for the first three days of the fermentation. This time of year my brew room has an ambient temperature of 68°. After the first three days I let the fermentation go uncontrolled unless it approaches 71°. I prefer to let the yeast do its’ own thing unless the temperature is heading for either the high or low of the optimum temperature for the beer being brewed.

This is lazy and patient brewing. I have gotten much better beers by not trying to control the fermentation, too much.

1 Like

I don’t have any data to answer your question if a sudden increase is better or worse than a gradual increase. But, with all my fermentations, both ales and lagers, I do increase temps by 6-8* after 4-7 days. Ales usually low 60’s to mid-high 60’s. Lagers, usually mid to high 50’s to mid 60’s.I use a swamp cooler for temp control, and raise temps by stopping the ice bottles if used, or adding an aquarium heater. So, I guess it’s fairly gradual over a day or 2. Remember the thermal mass of a 5G batch means that any temp change will be gradual.

1 Like

I will ferment at a bit cooler than suggested, after the initial ferment is done, I will let the temp rise, ales I’ll turn off the freeze-menter, put out on a table down stairs cover and let it go. Lagers, which I am new to, I will bring the temp up to 65, let it rest/acclimate then another 4-7 days later, put it on the table wrapped. So far so good. I maybe liking the secondary for lagers, but not ales. Sneezles61

1 Like

Good question. But does it matter if you do use a high tollarance yeast strain. Say for example. The yeast works inbetween 70 to 100. Like the kviek strain. Me let it sit. With good results. Unless i do use a different strain. Than use a swamp cooler system