Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Rambling about kettles and electric brewing

Hey all looking for some perspective on boil kettles.

I’m in the process of stepping up to electric HERMS. Using keggles I already owned for HLT and MLT. I am going to buy a 20 gallon pot for the boil kettle.

So… I really can’t justify spending a lot of money on the new kettle. I understand a thicker kettle will retain heat better and a thicker bottom will distribute heat better if your heat source is a burner underneath. But since I am going electric, the element will be submerged inside the kettle… so I don’t care about heat distribution.

Can anyone make a case for investing serious $ into a nice kettle for electric brewers? Aesthetics do not concern me.

If not, I’m pulling the trigger on this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-80-QT-Quart … 2c6e489130

20 gallons, stainless, and it’s actually thicker than some kettles that are double the price (Bayou Classic, for example).

Cheers,
Drew

That’s a good price for a 20 gall SS pot. Here’s an aluminum one for about 30 bucks less:

[quote=“Glug Master”]That’s a good price for a 20 gall SS pot. Here’s an aluminum one for about 30 bucks less:

[/quote]

That is tempting. Although, think I am going stainless since the ball valve and thermometer hardware will also be stainless. I’ve read a bit about galvanic activity/corrosion between aluminum walls and stainless hex nuts.

Also, the stainless pot comes with a lid, which I should be able to use on my HLT and MLT.

Can you think of any good reason no to go cheap on a boil kettle for an electric brewer?

I just converted to electric myself. I needed to upgrade my HLT because I soon plan to go to 10 gal batches. Anyway I bought my new HLT pot from the same place on eBay. It’s really nice. Would be perfect for a boil kettle as well.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com