Rahr vs Briess for domestic base

What are your opinions on Rahr vs Briess as a domestic base? I have a new source for cheap Briess, but have never used it. I’m sure its a quality malt, but what do you think?

I been using briess 2 row brewers malt and the pilsener malt for years. Briess and munitions marris otter is all my Lhbs carries. I like it enough that I’m not paying the shipping on something else. I don’t like the briess pale ale malt though.

I’ve never been thrilled with the flavor of Briess. It just comes across as very neutral to me with little kiln character. I like Rahr 2-row a lot. Cargill is pretty good too.

I’m not a fan of Rahr pale ale malt.

I try to avoid Briess as much as possible.

Why is that Denny?

I ask because we just got a LHBS in the area recently and they carry Bries. I picked up a sack of the Bries, but have used Rahr in the past. Figured I would give it a try since it was local.

I was just compensating with a little more victory or biscuit. Briess certainly does seem to be the most widely available brand of malt out there and they offer a wide variety of specialty grains.

[quote=“Braufessor”]Why is that Denny?

I ask because we just got a LHBS in the area recently and they carry Bries. I picked up a sack of the Bries, but have used Rahr in the past. Figured I would give it a try since it was local.[/quote]

I just haven’t found a Briess base malt that I like the flavor of. I use some of their specialty malts (organic C60, mostly) but their base malts seem weak in flavor and sometimes a bit grainy.

[quote=“Denny”]
I just haven’t found a Briess base malt that I like the flavor of. I use some of their specialty malts (organic C60, mostly) but their base malts seem weak in flavor and sometimes a bit grainy.[/quote]
+1 This has been my experience as well. Just too weak in flavor.

Hmmm… good to know your experiences. I have 50lbs of it, so I will have plenty of taste testing to see if I notice the same or not. I had always been very happy with Rahr, so if I notice Bries is not as good, I will be switching back to that for my 2 Row.

Great Western Malting 2-row is my base malt.

That was my go to until I discovered Rahr. Now GW is a very close second. Great malt.

That was my go to until I discovered Rahr. Now GW is a very close second. Great malt.[/quote]

Do you buy locally or order? I live in Salem, but work in Springfield.

I’d have to agree with the guys that ditched Briess for Rahr. The fact that Rahr is more ecinomical doen’t hurt either. I have to road trip to the Twin Cities or count on visiting relatives to make sack purchases of my trusty Rahr.

That was my go to until I discovered Rahr. Now GW is a very close second. Great malt.[/quote]

Do you buy locally or order? I live in Salem, but work in Springfield.[/quote]

I get GW from the Home Fermenter Center. Sometimes has Rahr also. I usually get it through a club buy, though.