Racking with an auto siphon

I’ve been doing it wrong ever since I bought one. Just looked at the how to and FAQs.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=100679

I always had the end of the siphon tube curled at the bottom to prevent the potential oxidation of the beer.

Nah, you’re doing it right, the beer should not fan down the side of the carboy.

[quote=“flars”]I’ve been doing it wrong ever since I bought one. Just looked at the how to and FAQs.

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=100679

I always had the end of the siphon tube curled at the bottom to prevent the potential oxidation of the beer.[/quote]

I do it the same way you do…

When racking white wines as they get close to the end of fermentation, it is useful to have the wine fan down on the side of the carboy to drive out CO2 and gently expose it to a bit more oxygen. Somehow that helps it to finish more reliably.

But for every other situation that I use an auto siphon, I try to get the end of the hose under the liquid as quickly as possible and avoid turbulence and air contact.

Sorry flars it only lets me reply 3 times on any post

Ok thats what il use also whats a good container to use my hydrometer in? I also have a refractometer and i can do multiple readings if needed as i am very cautious with sanitizing but i just dont wanna introduce oxygen into it and it go bad…so you think if i leave it the 3 weeks it will just turn clear? I thought there had to be some sort of filtering mine is really cloudy and the kit i got is pictured below thank you for all your time its been a huge stress relief and im doing it to impress my owner at the resturant i bartend at he helped with the brewing and was so interested hes been talking about brewpubs ever since so i want it to thrn out amazing

They gave me priming pabs to put in the bottles

Go to your original thread. You’ll be able to post more than three a day.