Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Quick Style question

So I won the lottery (so to speak) and got 3 beers registered for the National Homebrew Competition. I have to finish registering by deciding which beers to enter and ship them out in the next few days.

Here are my questions:

1. Would a strong Black IPA be in the Specialty Beer category?

2. Might enter a Bourbon Vanilla Imperial Porter. Also specialty or Robust Porter?

I entered a Mint Chocolate Milk Stout in another competition in the Stout category and it scored poorly because the tasted “mint” which must be a flaw. :oops: One judge said if mint was added, this should have been entered in the Specialty Beer category and it would have scored well.

BVIP is definitely specialty. The easy way to decide it to drink one while you read the style guidelines. The robust porter category says nothing about bourbon or vanilla, so you wouldn’t enter it there.

That is what I thought until I happened on Greg Muller’s spreadsheet of your recipe and it listed it as a Robust Porter.

He does list on his site as winning awards as a specialty beer.

Thanks

[quote=“560sdl”]That is what I thought until I happened on Greg Muller’s spreadsheet of your recipe and it listed it as a Robust Porter.

He does list on his site as winning awards as a specialty beer.

Thanks[/quote]

The base beer is a robust porter, although a much stronger than normal one. That alone might take it out of style. By the time you add the bourbon and vanilla, it’s not even on the same planet as a robust porter.

Got it, thanks

Black IPA specialty too?

Black IPA is either Specialty or might score well as an American Stout if it tastes roasty/burnt/coffee-like at all. If it doesn’t taste “dark” then it is Specialty.

[quote=“560sdl”]Got it, thanks

Black IPA specialty too?[/quote]

I think so, but I don’t drink or make them so I’m not positive.

Yes both beers are specialty. Be sure to specify what makes them specialty in the desctiption. “Black IPA” is fine for the black IPA… everyone should instantly know what that means but make sure it meets the IPA style guidelines with some slight to moderate dark malt characteristics in it as well. If it’s heavily malty and maybe some of the hops have faded then It might do well as an American Stout. Remember the judges are not judging what you brewed it as they are judging it to the style guidelines and they are judging the beer that is sitting in front of them rather the beer is the same as when you brewed it or not :smiley:

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com