Questions

Yet another newbie with a list of questions.
I basicly have assembled the NB deluxe starter kit ( plastic bottle bucket, 5 gallon and 6.5 gallon carboys and all of the other estentials). I have received an “amber malt extract kit” from a different supplier and I am getting ready to brew. The directions are standard, boil, 2 gallons of water, then top off with cold water to make up the 5 gallon volume.

For what ever reason, I have in my head that I did not want the wort to be in contact with the plastic, other than for the short time during the bottling process, especially when it is warm. Is there any way to possible to mix the wort and cold water in the 6.5 gallon carboy and get it to the correct temperature to pitch? I have come to the conclussion that there is not and I will be forced to do the mixing and pitching in the bottling bucket. Is this a common pratice? Which I guess isnt’ the worst thing, just not as efficient as I was thinking the process could be.

In the future, I would like to get a 7 gallon brew pot and wort chiller, then I can do this process right in the brew kettle and then siphon right to the carboy. Is there a differance in quality of the finished product from boiling all 5 gallons of wort vs. boil 2 gallons and adding make-up water?

The kit I have recieved came with Muntons Active Brewing yeast (E491),net weight 6 grams. I was planning to put the wort in the basement, where the temperature range is from 52°F to 61°F for fermentation, is this an ok range gor this yeast?

One last question for now, I’m sure there will be more as I contuine in the process. Once the wort is in the 6.5 gallon carboy, does it make a differance between air lock or blow off tube? Or is this just preferance?

Thank you in advance for reading, any input would be appricated.

Plastic vs glass is a common debate that can be found in other threads but there is no harm from either. I have done all partial boil brews and (2.5 - 3 gal) and then chill and put in to a carboy then top up with water. all have turned out fine. a blow off tube is used if you have very active fermantation and the gunk is clogging up the air lock. many people here use a blow off tube as their only air lock. It sounds like you are on the way to making beer, welcome. Cheers

If you’re proposing dumping HOT wort into the bottling bucket, this is a bad idea. Chill your concentrated wort as much as is practical by putting the kettle in an ice water bath. I used to do this in the sink.

Once you’ve got it reasonably cool (side not hot to touch), there no reason you coudn’t do your mixing in the bottling bucket if you wanted to. There’s no reason to be scared of plastic, lots of people ferment in plastic buckets. I always went straight into a carboy at this point, but if you’re careful with sanitation I don’t see an issue.

Adding cold water will help you get down to pitching temperature. Note if you’re plannin on using the volume markings on the side of your bottling bucket to determine when you’ve topped up to five gallons, you should verify them first, as these are frequently a little off.

Don’t pitch yeast until you’re in the vessel you actually plan to ferment in.

When you top off your fermenter to reach the 5 gallon recipe total, and if your boil was 2 gallons, add 3 gallons of cold water to the fermentor first. Then add your cooled wort. You will have had some volume loss due to evaporation during your boil so the wort will not be 2 gallons. Top off with more cold water to have 5 gallons in the fermentor. Verify and mark the 5 gallon line on the outside of the fermentor.

+1 to Nate. Always cool the wort in the BK before transfering to FV. I’ve only been brewing for about a year and almost always use a plastic 6.5 gal. bucket for primary. It’s easier to transfer into with a strainer(which also helps aeration) and if your topping off to 5 gal., you can stir it good. Be careful not to scratch the plastic though. Makes sanitizing a bitch! :slight_smile:

[quote=“gnome”]In the future, I would like to get a 7 gallon brew pot and wort chiller, then I can do this process right in the brew kettle and then siphon right to the carboy. Is there a differance in quality of the finished product from boiling all 5 gallons of wort vs. boil 2 gallons and adding make-up water?[/quote]Do yourself a favor and get at least a 10 gallon pot. If you’re going to do full boils you will need to start with 6-7 gallons to account for boil off and boil overs are no fun. As for quality, you will get a lighter wort, truer to style and better hop utilization with a full boil.

A wort chiller is definitely the way to go. I’m new to this as well, cooling the wort took FOREVER my first batch. It prompted me to spend the extra cash and pick up a chiller.

I’ve refrigerated 3 gallons of spring water the night before and added that to the 6.5 gal. pri-fermenter first, before adding the warm wort. Just make sure your temp is within pitching range before pitching yeast. I believe it’s below 90 F, but I’m sure the experienced brewer’s can confirm or add to that.

…and the other posts are absolutely correct: this is fun and addicting!

Welcome!!!

If you don’t want to shell out $60+ for a wort chiller it’s really easy to make your own. I went to Home Depot and bought a 20 foot coil of copper tubing and a small plastic tubing with female garden hose coupling for under $20. Cooled my last batch from boiling to 65* in about 15 minutes sitting on my cold stone patio. I can get it to cold break in a few short minutes.

RE: plastic…I recently added ale pail as a primary and the only complaint I have is not being able to see in.