Questions for Jim Koch?

I am going to meet Jim Koch of Sam Adams tomorrow. Can anyone thing of something good to ask him?

I’d ask what his favorite non sam adams beer is / brewery / style

then what his favorite sam adams beer is

:cheers:

Ask for some Utopias or Millenium.

+1 for free!

I had seen something about an oyster stout and was going to try and locate that when i’m there… I hadn’t even thought about Utopia. That would be pretty sweet.

Whats the strangest experimental batch they have ran.

Hey Jim, I am thinking of starting my own brewery, wanna leave Sam Adams and take a longshot?

Based on my experience, don’t ask him for brewing advice.

Here’s the kicker, the bastard never showed! Maybe the guys at the comp misrepresented it, but we were told he’d be there…but he was not. Still like the beer but pretty disappointing.

You didn’t miss anything :cheers:

Big shock. In the list of guys who started out amazing and then started phoning it in, he’s got to be near the top. I dont even think he’s paying attention to his beer, if the last year or so of SA beers is any indication.

Oh, I don’t know about that…It’s probably more a question of palates becoming jaded rather than a drop in the quality of SA beers. Or the fact that they have become too mainstream as far as some folks are concerned.

Putting aside Mr. Koch’s keen marketing savvy (as well as his very fortuitous timing when the brand was originally introduced 30 years ago), the company continues to grow because it’s flagship beers continue to maintain a high standard of quality.
As someone who has been observing the so called “craft” scene since the very beginning, I still consider them one of the top “craft” brewers despite their massive growth.

In the past, I drank a few of his beer styles and moved on. My thoughts are the same as yours but I will add he just waiting for one of the big boys to buy him out.

I can think of exactly one new Sam Adams beer that I’ve had in the past 5 years that was good enough that I’d buy it again. Noble Pils.

This is not a function of their size. Sierra Nevada is also a big player (not as big, but still very big) and they have done really interesting things in the same time frame… Torpedo, the Oliva series, Hoptimum, Kellerweiss.

Oh, I don’t know about that…It’s probably more a question of palates becoming jaded rather than a drop in the quality of SA beers. Or the fact that they have become too mainstream as far as some folks are concerned.

Putting aside Mr. Koch’s keen marketing savvy (as well as his very fortuitous timing when the brand was originally introduced 30 years ago), the company continues to grow because it’s flagship beers continue to maintain a high standard of quality.
As someone who has been observing the so called “craft” scene since the very beginning, I still consider them one of the top “craft” brewers despite their massive growth.[/quote]
despite Koch not showing, i’m still +1 on what he says.

Boxers or Briefs?

I believe you.
But you have to admit, there is a contingent of beer snobs for whom brewery size does matter and to whom growth to mainstream acceptance is viewed as somehow “selling out”.
Ironic, because I’m sure MANY small brewers dream of achieving the acceptance that the Sam brands have earned, and would embrace that kind of success mightily.

[/quote]Oh, I don’t know about that…It’s probably more a question of palates becoming jaded rather than a drop in the quality of SA beers. Or the fact that they have become too mainstream as far as some folks are concerned.

As someone who has been observing the so called “craft” scene since the very beginning, I still consider them one of the top “craft” brewers despite their massive growth.[/quote]

I agree with what your saying but if i had to make a choice I’d much rather have something from goose island than Sam Adams. The fact that i am a chitown native has nothing to do with it.

I believe you.
But you have to admit, there is a contingent of beer snobs for whom brewery size does matter and to whom growth to mainstream acceptance is viewed as somehow “selling out”.
Ironic, because I’m sure MANY small brewers dream of achieving the acceptance that the Sam brands have earned, and would embrace that kind of success mightily.[/quote]

I dont think he “sold out” because he’s mainstream or successful. Personally, I really dont give a damn how big your breweries are or how well you’re marketed and distributed. All I’m looking for is something that tastes good when I pop the top and pour it. SA has dropped the ball on it, IMO.