Questions about liquid yeast

I am about to brew my second batch, and I am going with the Cascade mountains west coast imperial ipa. My question is if I am not going to brew on the day that it comes in the mail, how long with my liquid yeast pack last in my refrigerator? Also, is there a specific temp that I should keep it at in my fridge?

Thanks

When do you plan on brewing? It should last a while. As long as it’s not frozen you’ll be fine.

If youre making an imperial IPA, 1 yeast packet will be underpitching by a lot. I’d recommend you make a starter or pitch multiple packets.

for proper pitch rates, check out the yeast pitching calculator at www.mrmalty.com

The liquid yeast will lose viability with each day, though it will remain viable for months. You can input the date on the yeast pack at mrmalty.com/calc/calc.htm
For that kit, you’ll want at least two packages of yeast, or make a starter. The higher the gravity, the more yeast cells you need. Otherwise, you will not get a good, complete, tasty fermentation.
Look up how to make a starter, and mrmalty can tell you how big to make it.

Though not optimal, I doubt you would be able to tell the difference if you did not increase the cell count.

I would recommend making a starter. Or making a smaller 2-3 gallon batch of beer with the yeast and using that for the big IPA.

problem is, I don’t have the hardware to make a starter nor the funds to buy it at the moment. so im trying to make this style because I love the hop monsters bit being a beginner im nervous to ruin a whole batch. is there no way I could gwt by with one liquid yeast pack?

All you need for a starter is a 1 gallon jug. If you can still find apple juice in the glass jugs, they are perfect.

You do not need a stir plate and expensive (and fragile) flasks.

In a pinch, you can use a well rinsed and sanitized milk jug. Or 1/2 gallon jug. Just don’t fill them over 3/4 full or you will have a mess.

[quote=“Nighthawk”]All you need for a starter is a 1 gallon jug. If you can still find apple juice in the glass jugs, they are perfect.

In a pinch, you can use a well rinsed and sanitized milk jug. Or 1/2 gallon jug. Just don’t fill them over 3/4 full or you will have a mess.[/quote]

This is called the intermittent shakin method for making a starter. Yeastcalc will give you the size starter for this method. Plan at least three days to complete and cold crash the starter with this method.

http://yeastcalc.com/

[quote=“flars”][quote=“Nighthawk”]All you need for a starter is a 1 gallon jug. If you can still find apple juice in the glass jugs, they are perfect.

In a pinch, you can use a well rinsed and sanitized milk jug. Or 1/2 gallon jug. Just don’t fill them over 3/4 full or you will have a mess.[/quote]

This is called the intermittent shakin method for making a starter. Yeastcalc will give you the size starter for this method. Plan at least three days to complete and cold crash the starter with this method.

http://yeastcalc.com/[/quote]

You can shake the vessel or not.