Questions about blowoff

Hey everyone,

Yesterday I brewed a Kolsch and made a yeast starter for it using a White Labs German Ale/Kolsch Yeast. I finished brewing and pitched the yeast starter around 4pm yesterday and noticed that I had some blowoff around noon today.

The airlock was barely on and there was a handful of yellowish-brown krausen sliding down the fermentor. I meant to just put on the blowoff hose last night but wasn’t thinking this time. I cleaned up the mess and sanitized a blowoff hose and attached it on there. Is there any chance that my beer can get infected/ruined because of this? I have no idea how long it was sitting without the airlock on and am now just worried about the outcome of this batch in general.

This is the first time I have personally dealt with a blowoff so any futher advice or information regarding the potential consequences of this event would be appreciated.

Your beer will probably be okay unless a swarm of fruit flies are inside the fermentor. The krausen and CO2 coming out would most likely have kept any airborne infection from getting in.

I cleaned up the mess and sanitized a blowoff hose and attached it on there. Is there any chance that my beer can get infected/ruined because of this?

Any chance? There’s always a chance I guess. From my experiences like that I would guess that you’re probably fine though.

[quote=“017hnoor”]I cleaned up the mess and sanitized a blowoff hose and attached it on there. Is there any chance that my beer can get infected/ruined because of this?[/quote]Slim to none; your beer will be fine.