Questions about additives to American wheat

I’m brewing NB’s American wheat this weekend and I’d like to add honey and peaches to the mix, but I need some advice on when and how much to add. Currently I’m planning on about a pound of honey at flameout. Also planning on making a peach puree (heating to sanitize) and adding to fermentor before pitching. Also have some apricot extract I’d like to add to bottling bucket. As this is only my 6th brew, I’m open to any and all suggestions. Thanks for any help

Sounds great. I’m still drinking a honey wheat I brewed recently and I’m very happy with the results. I added the equivalent of 1lb at flameout (0.5lb in a 2.5gal batch). Use high quality honey for the best flavor. I used local clover honey and it worked nicely. Lots of honey character in the finished product.

Never brewed a fruit beer (yet), but I think the conventional method would be to let primary fermentation run its course, then rack to secondary with fruit.

The last American wheat I brewed was a coconut honey wheat.
I added the honey on the second day after fermentation started and the coconut after two weeks. I also used some honeymalt and primed with honey. It turned out good.

You might want to do some research about peaches. I think I read where they don’t give off much flavor and that is why people choose apricots. As far as amount, add 1lb/gal for mild taste up to 3lbs/gal for heavy flavor. Add this after primary fermentation as stopped. This will cause a resurgence of fermentation, though, as the fruit contains sugar.

[quote=“Rookie L A”]The last American wheat I brewed was a coconut honey wheat.
I added the honey on the second day after fermentation started and the coconut after two weeks. I also used some honeymalt and primed with honey. It turned out good.[/quote]

How much coconut did you use? Could you taste it? I have a buddy who tried to make a clone of Kona Koko Brown and he was very disappointed that he couldn’t taste the coconut much. I’m not sure how much he used and when/where. I visited Kona Brewing last spring and they swear they use real coconut and no extracts but I’m not too sure as it has substantial coconut flavor.

I used 12 ounces in a three gallon batch. I could definately taste it, but I was brewing a wheat beer not a brown. I would think you’d need a bunch more in a darker beer like that, possibly toasted.

I’m thinking of brewing up the American Wheat this weekend also. My thoughts were to add 2# of orange blossom honey, rind from 2-3 clementines (colored orange part only) and a sprig of rosemary 5 minutes before flameout. Otherwise follow the directions for the recipe. Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated.