Questions About A Superb Burner

I have a Superb burner model 16-20E. It has gone from lp to ng to lp and back to ng since I purchased it in 1992. Unfortunately, the people that were helping me with the modifications weren’t as familiar with burners as I thought they were.

I believe I need to insert a new orifice so that I can again use it on ng. Right now, where the orifice should be is about 3/16. The flame is as you might guess not a blue one when I am using ng.

I would like to know what I would need in order to allow it to run cleanly on ng? Can I obtain an air flow adjuster for the unit? Somehow, that is no longer part of the stove. I have read that the orifice size should be 7/64, or 1/8.

My goal is to do all grain brewing in five gallon batches, so I don’t believe I need a more powerful burner. But, perhaps given the state of the burner, I might be better off buying a new one?

I found the following thread which provided links to sites where I might find replacement parts.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27009&start=0

Any help is appreciated.

I’ve got a Superb on NG and I love it. I heat up a 25 gallon HLT with it. Here is the nice blue flame in the picture. I ordered mine mny years ago for NG and then I had to take off the air mixture thing to get it to burn nice like this.

Here are pictures of my burner, and its current connections. Perhaps the Blichmann conversion kit might work? Or perhaps there might be parts that I may purchase in order to obtain the proper pressure for a clean burn?

[attachment=2]photo (1).JPG[/attachment]
[attachment=1]photo (2).JPG[/attachment]
[attachment=0]photo.JPG[/attachment]

[quote=“MullerBrau”]I’ve got a Superb on NG and I love it. I heat up a 25 gallon HLT with it. Here is the nice blue flame in the picture. I ordered mine mny years ago for NG and then I had to take off bthe air mixture thing to get it to burn nice like this.

[/quote]

I believe this is what you need:

http://www.homebrewing.org/Orifice-for- ... 4172.html#

The Blichmann kit might work but I would bet that its not a standard kit or they wouldn’t make it strictly for their product.

Thank you Josh for the link. AE agreed that this should work. I asked them about the absence of my air intake valve. They said I should have one, but that they don’t hav any.

Has anybody tried to make one for a burner?

[quote=“Loopie Beer”]I believe this is what you need:

http://www.homebrewing.org/Orifice-for- ... 4172.html#

The Blichmann kit might work but I would bet that its not a standard kit or they wouldn’t make it strictly for their product.[/quote]

Try doing a search for a air shutter for gas water heaters. You may find something there. I would say if your flame is burning blue at different pressure settings, like the flames in the pictures I think you would be ok. I remember working on the OLD! Ruud gas water heaters, I don’t remember what modals they were but they didn’t have air shutters on the burners. I remember seeing other brand of water heaters built the same way, I don’t remember the brand names thought been to long ago. If you need a different orifice you could have one drilled for your btu needs.

Good Luck,
Jazzman

I began to place my order at dventures In Home Brewing, but it turned out that the part was $8, and shipping was $9.00. In the end I found somebody to drill out an orifice for me. It is about 1/8 inch but probably could have been smaller. The cone valve that had been on there is now been replaced with a ball valve. I am looking forward to using the burner soon.

I appreciate all of the feedback.