Question on making belgian candi

hi guys

following a recipie from basic brewing vids

making some here atm, and following this recipie:

2lbs sugar
1 cup water
3 tsp of diammonium phosphate/ammonium sulphate (youngs yeast nutrient)

goto 290 oF
add another cup
bring back to 290
and a thrid cup of water
bring to 240.

anyways, going ok. the smell is not what i expected. it smells sweet, but the initial smell as its boiling is more acid/sulphuric. I’m a little concerned about this. kind of smell will give me a headache soon!

thoughts?

thanks

Matthew

What color is your completed syrup.

I used the process in this thread when makin candi syrup.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=104117

I commend your effort but sure seems like a lot of time/effort for something that is readily available, and not costly, at most LHBS or on line. But on the bright side, it will add more “home” to your homebrew.

:cheers:

[quote=“StormyBrew”]I commend your effort but sure seems like a lot of time/effort for something that is readily available, and not costly, at most LHBS or on line. But on the bright side, it will add more “home” to your homebrew.

:cheers: [/quote]
At the time I made that DIY, Belgian Candi sugar was no where to be found. There was a 3 month period in 2011 where not a single LHBS in the country had any of the Dark or D2 syrups. Hence I needed to make my own. Since then I have bought 4 Lbs of the D2 syrup for use in different brews. I do prefer to buy it over making it.

so, how did it turn out…flavor wise? did it add the flavor you’d expected and was it similar to D2?

cheers.