Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Question on making belgian candi

hi guys

following a recipie from basic brewing vids

making some here atm, and following this recipie:

2lbs sugar
1 cup water
3 tsp of diammonium phosphate/ammonium sulphate (youngs yeast nutrient)

goto 290 oF
add another cup
bring back to 290
and a thrid cup of water
bring to 240.

anyways, going ok. the smell is not what i expected. it smells sweet, but the initial smell as its boiling is more acid/sulphuric. I’m a little concerned about this. kind of smell will give me a headache soon!

thoughts?

thanks

Matthew

What color is your completed syrup.

I used the process in this thread when makin candi syrup.

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=104117

I commend your effort but sure seems like a lot of time/effort for something that is readily available, and not costly, at most LHBS or on line. But on the bright side, it will add more “home” to your homebrew.

:cheers:

[quote=“StormyBrew”]I commend your effort but sure seems like a lot of time/effort for something that is readily available, and not costly, at most LHBS or on line. But on the bright side, it will add more “home” to your homebrew.

:cheers: [/quote]
At the time I made that DIY, Belgian Candi sugar was no where to be found. There was a 3 month period in 2011 where not a single LHBS in the country had any of the Dark or D2 syrups. Hence I needed to make my own. Since then I have bought 4 Lbs of the D2 syrup for use in different brews. I do prefer to buy it over making it.

so, how did it turn out…flavor wise? did it add the flavor you’d expected and was it similar to D2?

cheers.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com