Question on honey

Good Morning… I am participating in a wort challenge in the next few weeks, and had a question regarding a secondary honey addition. I am doing a hefeweizen wheat style, and wanted to add a pound of honey to secondary. Is this something that can be added straight in? or does it need boiled down and thinned out? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-Dan

If you heat the honey, you’ll lose at least some of the aromatics, so when I add honey to the secondary, I’ll boil some water to sterilize, let it cool a little, then add just enough water to the honey to thin it to a maple syrup consistency before adding to the secondary. No worries on the honey contaminating the beer - honey itself doesn’t support organisms plus the beer is alcoholic and low pH.

Won’t the honey resurge fermentation even in secondary? And if so, wouldn’t the flavors of the honey dissipate?

I would add it to primary, honey ferments slow as it is and having more yeast available is a good thing. Add it when the most active part of fermentation is over or at least winding down.

I personally have had good luck just dumping honey in directly, no attempt to heat/pasteurize. Shadetree’s method sounds reasonable, it would be easier to get it all in if you dilute slightly.

And yes, you will get renewed fermentation when you add new fermentables. Be sure to give it plenty of time to finish.

[quote=“Nate42”]I would add it to primary, honey ferments slow as it is and having more yeast available is a good thing. Add it when the most active part of fermentation is over or at least winding down.[/quote]+1 I would also add in the primary in order to have plenty of yeast available. It will kick up a little renewed activity, but not enough to blow off a bunch of aroma, at least not limited experience doing it this way.

Honey contains wild yeast and microorganisms, but the low water content keeps them from growing. However, when you dilute a lb of honey into 5 gallons of beer… The National Honey Board advises pasteurizing honey for 30 minutes at 176F and cooling before adding it to your secondary in order to inhibit any beasties.

Another important thing to note about honey is that it’s 95% fermentable, meaning it takes a bunch to add meaningful levels of flavor. Have you thought about using honey malt in your mash? It’s cheaper, doesn’t involve extra steps and infection-risk, and imparts a nice subtle honey flavor to your beer if used in small amounts.

National Honey Board recommendations not withstanding, pasteurizing destroys the aroma and flavor contribution. Ask around on the mead maker’s forum, hardly anyone recommends that any more.

I personally have made many many meads, and at least a few beers with honey added, and I never heated the honey in any fashion. I’ve never had an infection.

[quote=“danfalcone”]Good Morning… I am participating in a wort challenge in the next few weeks, and had a question regarding a secondary honey addition. I am doing a hefeweizen wheat style, and wanted to add a pound of honey to secondary. Is this something that can be added straight in? or does it need boiled down and thinned out? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-Dan[/quote]

I brewed a coconut honey wheat last month. In a three gallon batch I added 12 ounces on the second day once the yeast was working. I heated up just enough water to make the honey easier to get into the carboy. I used honey to prime. I tried one a week after bottling and am very happy with the results. (orange blossom honey).
I’m going to serve it at the winter 2013 (feb. 24) Mashfest home brew beer festival at Loowits Brewing, 507 Columbia Street, Vancouver, WA.