Question for Hop-Standers

Who is utilizing post-flameout hopstands at multiple temps, vs single temp addition? Any anecdotal experience for merit of multiple temp stands on flavor/aroma (ie immediate post-flameout, plus additional hopping at subisomerization temps <180)?

I see the Pliny and Heady recipe kits here at NB have all hops added post-flameout.

I’m doing a DIPA with hopshots for bittering, then 2 oz each of CTZ/Simcoe/Cent/Cascade in the kettle (not including dry hops). I’m leaning toward adding the CTZ at 15 min, then the rest of the hops at flameout.

I’m wondering if a vegetal taste I got from my last batch could have been from extended hopstand (60 min) with pellet hops. So I am thinking of cutting that hopstand time down to 20 min.

Thoughts??

I’ve never done “extended” hopstands like you mention but on my last DIPA I did the Off The Topper kit which has one hopstand for 15 minutes at flameout then another below 180* for 15 minutes. It’s by far the hoppiest and best tasting IPA I’ve ever made. I’ve never been able to make the hop flavor “pop” like they do in this beer. I have to assume its from the 2 hopstand at different temps. This will definitely become my MO going forward for american hop-forward beers.

Same as Matt’s results - My last two hopstands, based on some recommendations I got here, half the hops went in at flameout with the cover off, and the other half went in after 20 minutes with the cover on. Don’t know how much temperature dropped in the first 20 minutes with the cover on, but I was going for a temperature around 180 or so.

Anyways, the hop flavor in both of these last two batches is unreal. Not getting any vegetal taste either. I’m going to be doing it this way a LOT more now. My 2 cents.

For APA and IPA, my SOP is:
A) 60 minute bittering addition get the bulk of my IBU’s (almost always Magnum).
B) 7 minute addition.
C) Chill to <170°F go get to below the isomerization temp.
D) 20-30 min hopstand.

These beers have significantly more potent hop aroma and flavor that rivals pretty much any commercial beer I’ve had (in intensity). I don’t see any reason to do a stand longer than 30 minutes. Post-fermentation, the beer is so aromatic that I’ve even considered skipping the dry hop.

That’s all good info. Thanks guys. I think I’ll still add 2 oz flavor addition to the boil, and then the remaining 6 oz divided into two 15-minute hopstands at flameout and at 175.