Question about first brew

Saturday afternoon, I started my first batch of Caribou Slobber. Things were going great, got it into the first carboy and started getting some good bubbling in the air lock before I went to bed. When I got up Sunday morning, the krausen had built up so much that it had filled the air lock so I switched over to a blow off tube and it was bubbling like crazy. I went to check on it mid afternoon and noticed that it had gotten kinda warm so I checked the temp and it was over 80. I’m not sure how long it had been that high or how high it actually got, but I took steps and got the temp coming back down and it’s been in the upper 60s ever since. Now it’s Wednesday and I’m only getting a bubble from the blow off tube every few minutes or so. Should I be concerned or do things normally slow down like that after a few days?


Congratulations on your 1st brew.

You have done some good reading before hand. Blow off tubes, water baths?.. Nice work.

Yes, air lock activity will slow down like that a few days into fermentation.

Let it ride for 2-4 weeks. Then bottle.

When you go to bottle, fill 1 soda bottle. Squeeze the O2 out and screw the cap on. As CO2 is produced the bottle will expand. No wondering what is happening inside the glass bottles.

Let things go 3-4 weeks in the bottle.

As you can see, order another kit so you are ready to brew when you get the 1st one in the bottles. Or order another fermenter. Pails are inexpensive and fine to use.

Thanks for the response. That makes me feel a bit better. I do have a secondary fermenter that I was going to transfer this to after 2 weeks. I also have a stout that I got for Christmas that I will likely start up as soon as I get this beer moved over to the secondary fermenter. Thanks for the tip on the soda bottle too, that’s a great idea that I never would have thought of myself.

If you are able to plan ahead, soda bottles are great for taking camping or taking to parks where glass is not allowed.

I kind of do that. I fill a small plastic soda bottle without squeezing the O2 out of it. Each day the bottle feels a bit harder; when it’s rock solid it’s ready.