Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Question about Caribou

OK. New to all this. Got the caribou kit and followed the directions. In the morning the fermentation activity had gone up and through the airlock. I left it alone for most of the day till I could see that there was no more foam coming up through the airlock. Got another airlock sanitized exchanged the two.

Beer is in carboy in my freezer. I have a digital controller…and the temp on the side of the carboy (using a strip) shows 66.

Anyway by the end of day 2 the kruezen has completely fallen and there is no activity in the airlock (from reading the forums…airlock activity is not conclusive).

Am I OK? I would have thought I would still see some foam going on after 2 days.

I used the danstar windsor ale yeast. Made a starter with it.

Yep, you’re perfectly fine. Sounds normal to me.

For future reference, I advise using a blowoff hose instead of an airlock during active fermentation. Sounds like you got lucky this time.

After seeing the foam coming up to and through the airlock the first thing I did was google blowoff hose and how to set it up. That will be something I do in the future for all batches.

Dry yeast packs have more than enough yeast in them. No need for a starter. And may be detrimental to the yeast to make one.

You can skip the air locks and use a blow off tube from start to finish.

http://brewing.lustreking.com/gear/bbbot.html
Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com