Quaker Oats in Stout?

I’m brewing a stout tomorrow and would like to add a pound or so of oats, went to a new LHBS and they didn’t have any flaked oats!

Is it possible/okay to use Quaker Oats 1minute oats in their place?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

I believe it would be fine. Sub 1 for 1.

I don’t think there is any difference between instant oats and the rolled oats sold at the LHBS - except for the price.

Cool thanks guys

I agree. I’ve used both the Quick oats and the Instant with good results.
Save even more $$ by using a generic brand of Instant. There is no difference.

The Quaker will work just fine.

Agree with everyone. I get them out of the bulk bin.

Just make sure the oats you get have no flavor added-- no salt or sugar.

Brew day went off with out a flaw, oats worked out just fine. Thanks posting.php?mode=reply&f=1&t=106362#

Quick oats are pre-gelatinized so they are the way to go. I’ve also heard of people toasting the oats in the oven, haven’t done it myself but plan to.

Glad you had a good brew day.

Toasting really brings out some flavor. I need to get some ready for an American stout.

[quote=“tom sawyer”]Quick oats are pre-gelatinized so they are the way to go. I’ve also heard of people toasting the oats in the oven, haven’t done it myself but plan to.

Glad you had a good brew day.[/quote]
Why not? It’s a great way to add your personal touch to the beer. I use either Classic rolled oats or Quick oats. Either way, they lend a nice character to a stout. Last batch I toasted a pound at 300 degrees for 30 minutes. This was for a 3 gallon batch. It’s still in the primary, but from a sample I had, it’s tasting mighty fine.