Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Putting in the IC at 10min

I know most people put in their IC at 10 minutes left in the boil to sanitize. I have yet to use my new IC but wouldn’t the rubber hoses hang down dangerously close to the open flame? Is there any reason I can’t just stick it in there at flameout? I assume that should be enough time to properly kill any nasties.

Back when I used an IC, the hoses were never damaged when sanitizing it in the boil. Just keep an eye on the hoses if you’re worried about them. Alternatively, you could sanitize it in a bucket of Starsan.

On an unrelated matter, what do you think about the new name for Alchemy Hour?

http://www.brewbound.com/news/great-lak ... double-ipa

I think they could have done better. As long as the beer is as awesome as before, I guess it doesn’t matter. Chances are I won’t be lucky enough to try it next year anyway. :cry:

When i first started using my IC, the drain hose got too close to the burner & started to melt. Ever since then, i drape both hoses over a wind screen i made to keep them up in the air & well away from the flame. Not a problem any more. Not sure if putting in at flameout would kill all contaminants. :cheers:

Not sure how your hoses attach but I just drop it in without the hoses. Once I kill the flame I attach them.

The name could be better but GLBC likes to stick to their themes. This beer honors the crazy nuts who surf Lake Erie during the winter. So while Chillwave is kinda lame, the beer will still be amazing :slight_smile:

Yeah they are attached with some hose clamps that don’t appear to come off easily. I’ll probably just have to go the Starsan route.

I just rigged mine up so that they didn’t hang straight down. I don’t have a picture, but basically i put a cooler (you could use any big enough object…a cardboard box, chair, etc) next to the burner/kettle , and draped the hoses across it so that they didn’t fall straight down.

Personally, I wouldn’t want to be trying to attach the hoses after the coil has been in the boil. The copper gets very hot (obviously).

(edit: maybe a cardboard box wouldn’t be the best idea next to the burner :shock: )

I had my hoses melt, so I now use a little spring clamp to hold them out to my LP tank. No problems since.

Same here, melted one hose and then figured out a way to drape them away from the side of the burner. I only usually drop it in a minute or two before turning off the burner. The copper gets hot plenty quick and 212F pretty much kills instantly. Plus temps down to 160F are killing as well.

I have short hoses and I attach one, connect to both ends, before I stick it in the kettle. If you leave them off, it’s hard to handle as the chiller connections get quite hot. And if you didn’t clear the water out of your chiller from the last brew session, water will spit out and it heats up in the coils. When I’m ready to chill, I unscrew the hose from the “out” end and hook it up to my faucet, then hook up the “out” hose. So the hose that’s connected during the boil just kind of hangs out away from the kettle.
Back when I brewed and chilled outside, I just hooked up the hoses from the start and it was away from the kettle and burner.

[quote=“kcbeersnob”]On an unrelated matter, what do you think about the new name for Alchemy Hour?

http://www.brewbound.com/news/great-lak ... double-ipa

I think they could have done better. As long as the beer is as awesome as before, I guess it doesn’t matter. Chances are I won’t be lucky enough to try it next year anyway. :cry: [/quote]

???

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com