Purchasing steeping/specialty grains for extract brewing

Is it possible to buy specialty grains for steeping? I was looking through NB’s online catalog and didn’t really see anything that would say the grains are designed for that.

Are they only available in the kits?

Pick whatever you want :slight_smile:

Are all the grains able to steep or mash? No difference?

Copied from NB’s web site.

Base Malts

Caramel & Crystal Malted Grains - Most often steeped for color and flavor

Lightly Kilned and Toasted Grains - Most often steeped for color and flavor

Flaked & Unmalted Adjunct Grains

This might be an over simplification, but it will be a start. You can also look at NB’s recipes for the types of grains listed as steeping grains for individual beers. You will find the recipes under the “Additional” tab for each of the beer kits on the web site.

John Palmer, in "How to brew", has a good quick overview on the different types of malts.

I view as, the base malt as the blank sheet an artist would use to paint on, and the specialty malts as the color which you add! I like when things are simple… Sneezles61

I actually just finished reading that section, this minute. Should have read the table of contents before posting!

Good tip, thanks flars.

One thing you can do too is if you’re making your own recipes and want to use grain for steeping (make sure you order it crushed unless you have a mill), is to pick up some base malt too. Drop a pound or two of base malt in with a pound or two of steeping grains and steep for 40-60 minutes and you’ve just done a partial mash.

Yup, I plan on doing that. I think you mentioned that in one of my other threads. Very good tip.

I’m doing 1 gallon brews, and can’t expand until I get a house, which might be like 900 years because I’m 27 & in California. So until then, I’m sticking w/ the 1 gallon and going to try and get creative with small batches.

With only doing 1-gallon batches, it would be easy to do all-grain BIAB. Or if you wanted to get fancy, turn a large lunchbox into a mini mash tun and go all grain that way. The only difference between doing it that way and what I’m doing is just the scale. Going all grain gives you more flexibility because you’re not restricted by the few types of extract they make, you can use any base malt in any quantity as long as you have enough diastic power to convert all of the specialty grains. And that’s not really hard to do, just make sure you have more base malt in the recipe as opposed to specialty grain.