Pumpkin spiced english brown; good idea?

I’ve seen a handful of topics floating around about pumpkin beer this time of year and I need to make on for the gf. She really loves an English Brown Ale I have on tap right now and I thought a brown ale would make a nice beer to add some pumpkin and spices too but all the recipes I see seem to just call for a regular ale. I’m thinking the toasty, bready malt flavors would mesh well with this in my mind but I’ve never made a pumpkin beer before. Is this a good idea???

Haven’t formulated a recipe yet but was thinking pretty standard, low hopped English Brown.

I think it’s a great idea and why not right? You have a winning recipe, a little spice is just going to enhance it.

Amber and brown recipes work just fine for building a pumpkin ale. My only recommendation would be to keep the hop profile low so it doesn’t compete with the spices.

I’m not normally a fan of brown ales, but it makes sense to me that an English brown (not an American brown) would be a good candidate for spices.

Definitely this!

Definitely this![/quote]

Like 20IBUs? Was thinking something like so EKG.

if it was me (which it very well may be in the near future!), I’d use some black strap along with the pumpkin & spices! but I’m fancy like that…

Can you pick up something like that at most grocery stores? Or like a coop or something? Sounds good.

Mr. Beard, when would you add the black strap?

[quote=“inhousebrew”]

Can you pick up something like that at most grocery stores? Or like a coop or something? Sounds good.[/quote]
sure can! I usually get mine at health food places.

usually last 15-20 minutes of boil. I usually add only 1-2 lbs in a porter, depending how I feel. I’ll probably use 1 lb in my pumpkin spiced brown.

I’ve read a lot about pumpkin in the mash, is this what most people do?

My first thought was in the secondary to get the most flavor out of it.

[quote=“inhousebrew”]I’ve read a lot about pumpkin in the mash, is this what most people do?

My first thought was in the secondary to get the most flavor out of it.[/quote]

I add it to the mash, but all I really get out of it is the satisfaction of knowing real pumpkin was used to make my pumpkin ale. The flavor and character come from the pumpkin spice, not the pumpkin.

My pumpkin ale is a brown ale. I start with NB’s Smashing Pumpkin Ale, add 1lb of dark brown sugar and some Chocolate malt to add color and flavor. It works out pretty well.

[quote=“codemunki”][quote=“inhousebrew”]I’ve read a lot about pumpkin in the mash, is this what most people do?

My first thought was in the secondary to get the most flavor out of it.[/quote]

I add it to the mash, but all I really get out of it is the satisfaction of knowing real pumpkin was used to make my pumpkin ale. The flavor and character come from the pumpkin spice, not the pumpkin.

My pumpkin ale is a brown ale. I start with NB’s Smashing Pumpkin Ale, add 1lb of dark brown sugar and some Chocolate malt to add color and flavor. It works out pretty well.[/quote]

I mashed mine with four 15oz cans of pumpkin and added roughly 1/2lb of rice hulls. It drained incredibly slow. But I also fly sparge, and I wonder if batch sparging would have a similar issue.

And most the flavor comes from the spices imo. But I agree it is just not right to not use pumpkin in an pumpkin ale. Plus it’s just fun.

inhouse,
your thread inspired me with the notion of an English yeast and Blackbeards use of molasses. My whole brew day this Saturday has now changed. By using only what I have on hand I intend on making an Autumn Ale.

12#-2row
2#-Munich
.3125# C120
.3125# Caramunich
.1875# Chocolate
1# molasses @ 15min

Willamette for both bitter and finish (25 IBU) - 1.2oz FHW, .8oz @ 10min and… WL011 European Ale yeast (2L starter already in the works)

I intend on adding 1 tablespoon of pumpkin spice about 5 minutes out. My goal is a very subtle spice, not overbearing. If it does not show through when I test gravity or move to secondary I’ll hit it with another tablespoon diluted in some bourbon…

Regards, Mike