Pumpkin Spice Latte Stout - Add pumpkin?

This weekend, I’ll brewing my NB Pumpkin Spice Latte Stout. This will be my second time using my BIAB system after 2.5 years of brewing extract kits. As I’m planning my brew day, I’m considering whether or not to add real pumpkin into my recipe. A few years ago, I brewed the NB Smashing Pumpkin Ale kit and added canned pumpkin, and I was happy with the result. Curious if anyone has brewed the PSL Stout either with or without the pumpkin addition?

Here’s what I’m thinking for my process:

• Cube the flesh of 8-10 pound pumpkin
  • Roast cubed pumpkin for ~90 minutes at 250 degrees
  • Add roasted pumpkin to mash

Not sure if the quantity of pumpkin is right or if I should adjust the roasting process? I know the Great Pumpkin Debate is intense between brewers, and I am open to any and all feedback.

Sláinte! :beers:

Yes absolutely use pumpkin. Either fresh pumpkin or canned works fine. Some people will argue that it adds nothing but I think it does add texture/mouthfeel and color. It’s only once a year and it feels seasonal and makes us at least hope that Fall will eventually get here.

Your process seems fine…I baked my canned pumpkin in Pyrex at 350* with brown sugar sprinkled on top; then added to mash.

1 Like

I will always use real pumpkin in my annual Smashing Pumpkin brew. Probably two more brews before I get to that in the rotation, but harvest ales have started to hit stores so it will be coming maybe mid-late September so it will be ready for Halloween. I’ve considered the spice latte stout, I’ll be eager to hear your results. Warlock is one of my all time favorite beers.

I typically use pie pumpkins once they hit stores, cut em up, spritz them with water, then add brown sugar and cinnamon on top of them then bake em at 350 for an hourish. 2 punkins in mash, 2 in last 15 mins of boil. Provided they’re ripe, you can skin em with a vegetable peeler. I like the color it adds and it just feels proper. :innocent:

:beers:
Rad

4 Likes

Are pumpkins in season now?
Living up here next to the North Pole… We don’t see them yet… I’ve got small squash tho…
Sneezles61

Maybe its just a mind over matter thing. Did use canned pumpkin. And oven roasted. Pumpkin. But feel. Oven roasted. Pumpkin. Gives. More flav. And color.

No, they won’t hit stores here till September at the earliest here. Last year I didn’t brew Pumpkin beer till October so they were late September last year.

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

Just curious, Wilco, where do you source your pumpkins from?

From the local chinees supermarket. They do have them most the time.

1 Like

No, I’m just a dumbass who didn’t consider that pumpkins aren’t quite in season yet. Lol.

I’m digging the brown sugar addition!

Wasn’t going there… For all I know(ain’t much) you could be in South America.
Sneezles61

Hey gents! Got my pumpkin last weekend, and I’ll be brewing tomorrow! Gonna use @radagast method and roast mine with brown sugar and cinnamon and split the pumpkin half in mash and half w/15 mins remaining in boil. I’ll let ya know how it goes!

4 Likes

Not the smoothest of brew days, but we got the job done. Propane tank 1 kicked heating the mash. Unexpected issues with new equipment. Propane tank 2 started running low during boil (both tanks were half empty from my wife’s gas grill and previous brew days). Immersion chiller took FOREVER to cool down my wort. Pumpkin chunks clogged my spigot AND siphon. Started raining right after flameout while I was trying to get everything cleaned up.

All in all, wort’s tasting good, I hit my OG, and in 6 week’s I’ll have some bangin’ homebrew to enjoy!

3 Likes