Pumpkin ale. And mashtun

So me thinking in july to do a pumpkin ale. If i can find a pumpkin. The last few i did came out nice. Did use a muslin back and add the pumpkin to the boil. After i did roast and clean the pumpkin. Question. Been reading. Add the roast pumpkin to the mash. But does did give issues with the falsebottom. So the pumpkin gets stuck

I would add the pumpkin later in the boil but make sure to roast the pumpkin first.
And then uses the pumpkin as a fermenter (also roast the inside first).:confounded:
http://beerandwinejournal.com/pumpkin-fermenters/

I agree I don’t see what adding it to the mash would accomplish except getting messy

2 Likes

I’d just carve it out, put a candle in it and call it a jackolantern… :grin: Sneezles61

2 Likes

I’ve used canned organic canned pumpkin, 45 oz per 5 gallon batch(baked first with brown sugar in a Pyrex baking dish) and added to the mash. Worked well with 2 prior batches. Just seemed easier to work with than wrestling with multiple baking pumpkins( the little guys), the “Great Pumpkin” doesn’t work here @sneezles61 :joy::jack_o_lantern:

2 Likes

I do a Smashing Pumpkin every year around Halloween. I skin and chop 4 pie pumpkins and bake them in the oven with brown sugar and cinnamon on top. I add two pumpkins to the mash and 2 to the last 20 mins of the boil. The first time I wasn’t sure if it would cause mash issues so I put them in a muslin bags. Found out that when I chop them into pieces and bake them, it didn’t cause any issues so I don’t even bother with the bag anymore. It might be different if you were using puree or pie filling. I’ll add a picture once my phone done updating for reference. :innocent:

Edited

Here’s before baking:

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

I just wanted to make sure you knew it was, well, you know, canned.

1 Like

I thought you were saying the organic part was in a separate container from the pumpkin part like those crackers with the spreadable cheese to the side.

1 Like

Didn’t need to be too critical VD… er I mean VooDoo! :grin: Sneezles61

1 Like