Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Pump for Racking From Carboy

Well looky what I have… I got a Chugger SS pump! Yay me, now what the hell do I do with it?

Obviously, I’ll be transfering liquids from HLT to MLT to BK etc.

But one other thing I’d REALLY like to be able to do is use it for racking beer from my carboy to my keg.

This presents a bit of a problem, because the pump isn’s self-priming. So I have to have the beer flowing down to it before it can start running.

Does anyone have a creative solution for using their pump to rack from a Carboy?

And please don’t say get a Better Bottle or something with a spigot. That’s just not what I’m asking.

You are going to aerate the crap out of your fermented beer with an impeller pump. Your best option is to siphon or buy a diaphragm pump if you are really set on a pump for transfers.

You could also get a better bottle with… :wink:

How about a carboy cap and racking cane used with a carby and pushed with co2?

[quote=“roffenburger”]You are going to aerate the crap out of your fermented beer with an impeller pump. Your best option is to siphon or buy a diaphragm pump if you are really set on a pump for transfers.

How about a carboy cap and racking cane used with a carby and pushed with co2?[/quote]

Good point, didn’t think about aeration. There’s also the issue of sanitization of the pump and the connected lines.

Siphoning is just such a pain in the ass. Ugh - guess I’m stuck with it for now.

[quote=“Chris-P”][quote=“roffenburger”]You are going to aerate the crap out of your fermented beer with an impeller pump. Your best option is to siphon or buy a diaphragm pump if you are really set on a pump for transfers.

How about a carboy cap and racking cane used with a carby and pushed with co2?[/quote]

Good point, didn’t think about aeration. There’s also the issue of sanitization of the pump and the connected lines.

Siphoning is just such a pain in the ass. Ugh - guess I’m stuck with it for now.[/quote]

Why is it a pain? Do you have an auto-siphon? Do you just not like having to lift one container above the other?

[quote=“PupThePup”][quote=“Chris-P”][quote=“roffenburger”]You are going to aerate the crap out of your fermented beer with an impeller pump. Your best option is to siphon or buy a diaphragm pump if you are really set on a pump for transfers.

Siphoning is just such a pain in the ass. Ugh - guess I’m stuck with it for now.[/quote]

Why is it a pain? Do you have an auto-siphon? Do you just not like having to lift one container above the other?[/quote]

Yeah, I have an autosiphon. It’s a pain b/c I have to hold this damn tube for 10 min while it slowly drains out of the carboy. Then when it gets to the bottom, I have to wedge something under the carboy (while holding the siphon) so i can get the last bit of beer and not pick up a bunch of trub.

Get yourself one of the 1/2" auto-siphons, they only take a couple minutes to transfer 5 gallons.

Wedge it up before you start and let it sit there for a while. I sometimes tie some tubing around the siphon and let that rest on the edge of the carboy to keep it at the level I want. Get creative. Fashion a clip or something to hold it in place. I always siphon to a liquid connection and into the beer out post on the keg. I purge the keg first as well. You can put the lid on and vent the prv if you want also. Works nicely for me.

+1

This is the best way I’ve found (since 1987) to maintain sanitation and prevent oxidation and get a clean transfer. It’s even easier if you use a fermenter with a valve (I didn’t say a spigot :cheers: ).

Call me crazy, but here’s what I do…

I have 2 racking canes connected by a length of tubing. On the cane I place in the fermenter I have a carboy cap. So I just put the cane in the beer, seal the cap, place the other cane in the keg (to minimize aeration) and then I… (gasp!) simply blow into the other opening in the carboy cap to force beer into the cane and start the siphon.

I know, risk of contamination, blah blah blah. Been doing it that way for years with no problem. Maybe it’s because I never have bad breath? Heh.

Helluva lot easier than all of the other gyrations involved in getting a siphon started…

I really like my auto siphon, I might get the 1/2 " version to speed transfers!

You guys who are holding the racking cane in place need one of these…

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com