Pseudo Sue Clone Attempt

So I joined Tavour at the end of last year and was able to get my hands on two cans of Pseudo Sue that came in my last shipment. I thought it was flipping fantastic and would make an excellent spring/summer beer to try to clone. Toppling Goliath says it’s 6.2% and 50 IBU single hop Citra pale ale. After digging around on the interwebs, I pieced together the following recipe that I’m going to try for my next brew:

13.3 lb Pale 2 Row
1/2 lb Flaked Barley
1/2 lb Honey malt

1/4 oz warrior 60 mins
2 oz Citra 10 mins
2.5 oz Citra 5 mins
2 oz Citra Flameout
5 oz Citra whirlpool once under 180 degrees 20-30 mins
2 oz Citra Dry hops 3-4 days
2 oz Citra Dry hops 3-4 days

WLP007 yeast
Mash 152
90 min boil

Target OG at 75% efficiency 1.062
Target FG 1.016

Targeting 6 gallon volume in fermenter due to massive amounts of hops and assuming absorption loss. Anyone else had this? Any tips or advice on trying to clone this?

:beers:
Rad

I’m not much help since I had to Google Tavour and Pseudo Sue. $99 for eight bottles. Is that correct?

I paid $8 for 2 16 oz cans through Tavour. It’s not available here in Pittsburgh and if that pricing is correct, I wouldn’t be buying it by the case. :joy:

Rad

That seems like a lot of Honey malt (I hear that stuff is super potent), but you’re probably pretty close on the hops.

Beer nerd comment- did you get the contract brewed Florida Sue, or the Decorah Sue? We just started getting the cans out of Decorah in the shops, and I hate to say it, but it’s better than the Florida.

1 Like

I don’t actually know, I’ll check my other can later today.

Rad

I just found out about that not that long ago.

I finally got back to checking on this. It’s a Florida batch. As it’s the only version I’ve tried, sadly I can’t compare it to Decorah.

Rad

It’s a beautiful day for a brew!! 1 lb of Citra bomb of a Pale ale on the way!!

Rad

1 Like

Gee Whiz, your yard looks like 2 months ahead of ours… I brewed yesterday also, and trudged through knee deep snow to dump my grist out for the deer and crows and squirrels… Sneezles61

Ok, so tried mine vs the real thing side by side today. Mine clearly cloudier, same nose, mine is a bit bitier than the real thing. Guess I still have some work to do on this. :thinking:

Rad

Looks good to me. You have a lot of late addition hops so it’s not surprising it looks like a juice bomb NEIPA. Pseudo Sue doesn’t come across as that hop forward to me. Granted I’ve only had it in the can.

And which state did the can come from? The iowa sue i had recently was super cloudy.

Double post.

I assume they were from Iowa as they were purchased there.

I have bought Florida cans in Iowa because TG didn’t always have a canning line in Iowa.

Agree, I’ve been drinking Florida Pseudo for a couple of years. We just starting getting the Iowa version here in MA recently and it is absolutely delicious. Much hoppier than FL.