Pros and Cons of building your own Kegerator?

I recently read someone worried about condensation in his home built kegerator. Is this a problem in all kegerators. Do the specifically manufactured ones have this problem or is this only a problem in home built ones. Does the amount of insulation in the collar affect the condensation in the “tub”.

Condensation happens when moisture in the air inside the kegerator condenses on the sides when coolant is running through the coils. So you can limit the condensation by first, not opening the lid very often and thoroughly sealing the collar (if you use one), and second, by conditioning the air outside the kegerator so there’s less moisture in any air that does get inside.

My Sanyo commercial keg refrigerator will form moisture on the cooling plate.

So yes.

I use a couple Eva Dry 500 dehumidifiers in my chest freezer kegerator, and so do some other folks on the forum, and it keeps it completely condensation free, even after I introduce trace amounts of liquid inside it such as by spraying iodophor solution on posts, etc. They last for years and are really a great solution to the condensation problem. When the silica balls turn pink, just remove the unit, plug it in for a few hours until the silica balls turn blue, and put it back in the kegerator. Highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry--500-Rene ... 108&sr=8-1

[quote=“brewsumore”]I use a couple Eva Dry 500 dehumidifiers in my chest freezer kegerator, and so do some other folks on the forum, and it keeps it completely condensation free, even after I introduce trace amounts of liquid inside it such as by spraying iodophor solution on posts, etc. They last for years and are really a great solution to the condensation problem. When the silica balls turn pink, just remove the unit, plug it in for a few hours until the silica balls turn blue, and put it back in the kegerator. Highly recommended.

http://www.amazon.com/Eva-dry--500-Rene ... 108&sr=8-1[/quote]

Awesome! I’mma pick up one of those soon.

I didn’t get rid of ALL of the condensation “sweat” on the inside walls until I put two of them in my 7.2 cf keezer.

Hmmmm…now I have second thoughts about it. Thanks for the info.

I know you’re probably thinking $60 bucks for two of them, ouch! But having tried Damp Rid, and hated that and actually it is much more expensive in the long run, so I bought one Eva Dry 500, and just one works pretty darn well (recharge it more often) and the units are sealed/self-contained and not bulky, and two is bullet proof. You can always start with one. We all know that homebrewing is about finding solutions, some don’t work well, some are ok, some are great. I was just glad that this truly fixed the problem - In my experience it is a no brainer that the Eva Dry’s are well worth the initial cash output.

I’ve never had to clean my keezer because no mold, no rust, no residual water.

I converted a standard top freezer fridge into a kegerator. Can hold 6 kegs or 5 kegs and the nitro and co2 bottles. Hops and yeast in there too. Freezer is full of frosty glasses and ice. No condensation at all in either the fridge or freezer. Just lucky maybe?

Pros: beer on tap in your own house is AWESOME!
Cons: no matter how many taps you install, you’ll want more

^^ agree

Thank you for all the replys. I was a little concerned since my wife is willing to donate our large chest freezer to the cause. I became concerned of the condensation issue after reading another post. I had planned on insulating the collar with foam since the condensation is caused from the warm room air meeting the cool/cold air of your freezer or warm material being placed in the cold freezer. Thanks again and thank you for naming the product that controls this problem.

Kevin

The only problem I have with building a collar for a chest freezer is if you spill or get something on the floor of the freezer, it’s a ways down there to clean it up with the collar in the way. I think when my current mini fridge kegerator dies, I’ll do the same again, or see if I can get a small sized fridge with the top freezer and convert it.

beersk, you can do what I did and attach the collar to the lid and attach the hinges to the collar and the freezer. If ya do it this way the collar lifts with the lid and reaching the bottom is not a issue. unless you have stubby short arms :stuck_out_tongue: .

When the last of the brood clears out this summer, my small downstairs fridge will be converted at least for shared duty with lagering. Gonna put a beergas system in there. The ms doesn’t know it yet, but she’s the stout and porter fan of the house. So after the first pour of stout from her stout faucet and having the cascade at home, she will warm to the idea.