Proper punishment for crime against my hops!

Wow, this needs to be transitioned into it’s own thread so we can further discuss what beer is best to drink during the episodes or something.

Regardless of the changes made, from people I’ve talked to who have read the books (I’m waiting till the end of season two) it seems that most helped to move along the story. While they obviously need to edit out major portions of what happens due to time and money constraints they also need to interject things here and there to compensate for what they’ve removed. I’m imagining there were plenty of scenes of Tyrion with whores that got removed so perhaps that is part of the character they wanted to introduce and decided to do it right away.

As far as the casting goes, if Catelyn was miscast it was for a good reason because I think she, as an actress, does a pretty good job later on. And if your concerned about Tyrion you should read the Rolling Stone article with George Martin who said that despite the physical differences (ie. too tall, too good looking and beardless) from Peter Dinklage and the books character the show basically needed him because they felt no one else could pull it off.

I understand. Books are always better. They are. But that doesn’t mean that an adaptation can’t be awesome as well.

Also, we who are HBO viewers have not gotten far enough in to know that Jamie was not involved in Tyrion’s “lesson” about whores…

[quote=“dobe12”]Like I said before… it’s just a shame you can’t separate the two and enjoy the series for what it is. Sounds like a ‘too cool for school’ sort of thing. But hey, no skin off my back. I’m enjoying it.[/quote]Not at all, I’m not saying people shouldn’t watch it, just that I don’t want my personal vision of the characters and the story messed up by a re-telling that is not true to the original. To use the “LOTR” analogy one more time, you could watch the three movies (especially the longer director’s cuts) and then read the books and it would all fit together, albeit with lots of new material, but you won’t be able to do that with “Fire and Ice”.[quote=“dobe12”]I also wouldn’t consider a brothel in Winterfell a “major change”.[/quote]That’s because you didn’t read the books - Ned Stark would not have allowed a brothel in his castle. Let alone Catelyn. So yeah, it’s a major change made only to throw in a little T&A for the HBO crowd and it makes viewers happy which means they’ll keep making more episodes, but it’s a change that did not need to be made and actually runs counter to many important parts of the story, which they will have to change to make it fit (wait until Tyrion kills…oh, sorry, almost gave away a major plot point, assuming they leave it in. :wink: )

[quote=“mplsbrewer”]Also, we who are HBO viewers have not gotten far enough in to know that Jamie was not involved in Tyrion’s “lesson” about whores…[/quote]Jaime was involved, it was just a bit different than Tyrion thought - but that doesn’t matter since they are going to have to leave that part of the story out or they wouldn’t have had Jaime buying women for Tyrion.

And your points about the actors for Catelyn and Tyrion are true, I’ve read and listened to GRRM talk about why they chose Tyrion for example, but the Catelyn actress is at least 10 years too old and Tyrion is as you said, too attractive. And since they are showing a lot of skin, they have to use older actors for characters like Daenarys, who is 12 when she marries.

How about making her read through this thread… :wink:

[quote=“BPBCo”]How about making her read through this thread… :cheers:

This could be the most mis-directed post on the forum - from hops to Game of Thrones! All in good fun. My Columbus will survive, so will my wife. I won’t if she finds this thread.

Coincidentally, I just started reading the Game of Thrones. I open it to chapter 1 and the title is “BRAN.” That’s my name for what it’s worth. So far I’ve adopted a wolf, fell, crippled, and comatized with some serious halucintaions about a crow and flying.

How’s my future look ?

[quote=“bwmac2”]How’s my future look ?[/quote]Bran is a major character who is still alive going into Book Six. Given that GRRM probably won’t finish that book for another five years if he keeps to his current schedule, I bet you/he lasts longer than your Columbus bine! :wink: