Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Propane tanks w/o opd & out of date

accidentally pressed enter button, but here we go. What would you guys do with a propane tank that is from 1996 does not have opd and is covered atleast 60 percent in surface rust. Do you think i could exchange it or is it just scrap. If it is scrap I am probably going to turn it into a mini forge or cut the top off and turn it into a hobo stove.

I doubt the surface rust will cause a problem. But to avoid the possibility take it to some store and exchange it. Especially if you find one with a teenager running the counter.

Unless you want to make it into your other ideas.

Exchange it at the depot, they have those automated machines that don’t care if it’s old or rusty.

I wish the my local depot had the automated machine, but I live in an affluent area where nothing is automated except those RO 25 cent water machines. I think ill try to find a place with teenager like Night hawk suggested. I have a question I heard that Blue Rhino has some special connection and it can only be filled by Blue Rhino is that true?

I took a tank that had not been inspected since 1974, to my local welding supply and they said not problem and exchanged it for me. I couldn’t believe that the tank was that old.

oops, nevermind, your talking propane. Mine was a co2 tank.

I worked at a place once that had the blue rhino deal. I never looked twice at the exchange coming in. also, The delivery driver showing up to collect the empties didn’t either. I assume they worry about that issue at the main depot where they retest and fill.

The only issue you will have is trying to get that tank refilled.

They check for significant rust and signs of misuse in my area when exchanging one in without the dealers label on it.

Went to my local depot, they did not care about condition or year of the cylinder. Not to bad :slight_smile:

I keep two tanks so that I always have a full one. You only have to run out of propane in the middle of a boil once to learn that lesson. :oops: I exchange one of them each year at a local gas station that does the Blue Rhino thing. Except for that one exchange a year, I have the tanks filled at a different gas station that does full 20-pound refills. Blue Rhino charges more per fill/exchange and only puts 15 pounds in the tank - but, to me, it’s worth it once a year to feel more comfortable about the tanks being in good shape.

yugamrap, Blue Rino is not doing anything to the tanks unless it is past the inspection date. Save some money and skip the once a year change out.

A quick search gave me 12 years from manufacture and every 5 years after that.

And yes, 2 tanks is mandatory!

[quote=“Nighthawk”]yugamrap, Blue Rino is not doing anything to the tanks unless it is past the inspection date. Save some money and skip the once a year change out.

A quick search gave me 12 years from manufacture and every 5 years after that.

And yes, 2 tanks is mandatory![/quote]

Thanks - good advice! I’ll check the inspection dates on the tanks and won’t bother with the exchange until it gets close to those dates. Eventually, I’d like to switch my system over to natural gas - but that’s probably still a while away.

90% of locations could care less what the condition of the exchanged tank is. & yes, 12 years from date of manuf & than every 5 after that. Blue Rhino used to make valves that could only be filled by them but they got sued for it & that is no longer the case (look for an indented triangle shape on the valve body sides - those are the ones that can only be filled by BR & I havn’t seen one in years). Refilling is always better than exchanging, unless you have a questionable tank of course.

I pulled a 40-lb tank out of a dumpster - it was years out of inspection and more rust than metal - and took it to a Blue Rhino location. They were apologetic, but would only trade me a 20-lb for the 40. 8)

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com