Propane question

I tried using my propane burner on Saturday. It kept flaming out. At lower temps. does propane get thicker? It was a real bi*ch to try to get a decent boil on 6.75 gallons of wort on my stove, eventhough, I could span 2 burners with my 10.5 gallon kettle. First full volume boil in doors with my new kettle. Not a happy brewer.

Not sure if “thicker” is the word I’d use, but it condenses. It expands when heated. I’m guessing it’s either your air control, distance between burner and kettle, or maybe the wind? Does your burner have a wind guard?

As you draw off that vapor the liquid in the bottle begins to boil to replace the vapor. If the temperature is too low, or if you have a great big heater connected to a 20/30 lb bottle, the bottle will actually freeze up and starve the appliance for fuel

As the temps get lower the pressure drops in the tank. You may need to find a way to warm your tank for brewing.

As stated above, I would check your air mixture valve. If it is too far open or shut it can cause problems. It is the roundy thingy with the notches cut out where your propane hose connects to the
burner.

Could possibly be your regulator on your hose. It’s a cheap replacement if warming your tank doesn’t work. You could also release the air in your tank by using a flat head screw driver on the neck of the tank next to the valve shutoff.

I regularly have the same issue when brewing in my uninsulated, stand-alone garage. My work around has been to place the tank in an 18 gallon plastic tub and then add ~3 gallons of hot tap water.

This past weekend I was brewing a Munich Helles in 5* weather and noticed that my boil was fading rapidly about 30 minutes in. I placed the tank in the bucket, added the hot tap water and the boil instantly returned to full strength.

I can run my 20 gallon tank at full bore in temps down to 10 degrees. make sure you are adjusting the air mix valve on the burner and you have a mostly full tank.

I apologize description of the gas getting “thick”, I just could not think of another way to describe it. I’m thinking that the real problem is the last time I brewed I had a massive boil over and the jets may be gunked up, again not a technical term.

Gas will not get thick as you are drawing off the vapor in the bottle, if your regulator is not the correct size based on the btu demand it will freeze. It goes from high pressure to rapid expansion to a lower working pressure and it will freeze the regulator if its undersized. Is the reg set up the one that came with the burner?

yes it is the one that came with the burner. I didn’t have a problem until December when I was brewing at an ambient temp. probably 20-25 degrees lower than I had ever tried before.

Certainly the case for me during the winter brewing in the garage. Try shaking the propane tank quick, guessing you’ll see the flame pick up dramatically. I haven’t found a way around it other than what has been mentioned in this thread, keep the propane tank warmer, a hot water bath like Dan mentioned or some other method would work. It is really hard for me to keep the tank warm enough when I’ve got 2 blichmann burners going off the same tank.

It is one more reason I’m plumbing my future garage for natural gas.

how full is the tank you are running? In colder temps I’ve found a full tank is less effected then a half empty one.

In fact, I always keep a spare full 20lb-er on hand just because.

maybe check your burner for boil over gunk and grab the tank off your gas grille and see what happens?

Newly filled tank. I’m learning that there is a lot of difference between a high pressure and a low pressure burner. This thing heats nice , but I get two batches out of a 20lb. tank, and it sounds like a freakin jet. I’m think of dumping the turkey fryer setup after 16 AG batches and getting a better burner since Santa brought me a 50 qt. SS kettle. Any comments on the bayou burner sold by our host. I know Blichman is the best, but I still have to sneak this stuff past the boss.
Remember the homebrewers motto concerning purchases" It’s easier to ask forgiveness than to ask permission".

2 batches? wow, I get 5-6 out of my burner.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... OYnPW80XTo

On the “release the air” part…That little screw there is for use when your tank is filled,( read: properly filled),as you crack it open when the filling starts, and then close it when you get the slightest indication of liquid propane spray out of the “purge valve”.

A definite must when filling a new tank!..That’s from my stint working in the RV 'bidness!

[quote=“shizzy”]2 batches? wow, I get 5-6 out of my burner.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... OYnPW80XTo[/quote]

+1. I have the same one. Got a steal on it too. Marked down to $39.99, plus a mistake at the register… got it for $29.99!!! Anyway, I get 4-6 brew days out of it too. I keep it turned way up when heating, but once the boil starts, I can turn it way down and keep a nice rolling boil.

[quote=“dobe12”][quote=“shizzy”]2 batches? wow, I get 5-6 out of my burner.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... OYnPW80XTo[/quote]

+1. I have the same one. Got a steal on it too. Marked down to $39.99, plus a mistake at the register… got it for $29.99!!! Anyway, I get 4-6 brew days out of it too. I keep it turned way up when heating, but once the boil starts, I can turn it way down and keep a nice rolling boil.[/quote]

Mine was on sale then I sold the cheap aluminum pot that came with it for $20. :cheers:

I get two 20 gallon batches out of a 20 pounder. Kettle geometry (bottom surface area) has a huge effect on efficiency of big burners.

Tried to brew yesterday. Cleaned up the burner and got it running, it heated up my 7.5 gallon with 3.5 gallons nicely. Then I tried to boil my wort in my new 10.5 kettle that is larger than the ring that goes around the base of the 7.5 so it sits on top. Couldn’t keep a flame so back to the stove. Do I need to get a larger burner designed for larger diameter pot?