Propane burner on a balcony

A couple of questions:

Anyone tried doing a propane burner brew on a somewhat windy balcony?

Also:

What’s the typical efficiency boost (time wise) using a propane burner vs a stove top?

Thanks!

you can put up a few pieces of plywood around your burner for a wind break, If your going from a partial boil on a stove to a full boil, the time to reach a boil will be about the same. You will be bringing twice the volume to a boil now. But the time can vary a lot depending on the size of your burner.

Hopefully, this is not in an apartment complex. A nasty boil over or a spill would not be a pleasant surprise for anyone who might venture under.

Especially if they happen to be under at the time of the unpleasant event!

To expand on that, if it is a multi-family dwelling, there may be rules prohibiting the use of a burner in a balcony. Aside from that, if the balcony is made of wood or if the burner is in close proximity to the home, you run the risk of starting a fire. Finally, if you are in the balcony, do you have a way to exit safely in the event you start a fire?

Not trying to be a Debbie-Downer but propane burners are extremely dangerous. Otherwise, they is no comparison to a stovetop. Even an average size turkey fryer would bring a full batch to a boil with ease. A stovetop could never bring a full batch to a boil.

[quote=“imajes”]A couple of questions:

Anyone tried doing a propane burner brew on a somewhat windy balcony?

Also:

What’s the typical efficiency boost (time wise) using a propane burner vs a stove top?

Thanks![/quote]

A propane burner won’t boost your efficiency. It will cut down on time.

My stovetop gets my full batches (7 gal) to a rolling boil, but it takes about 40 min (with the wort starting at ~140F after sitting on the floor during the sparge). I have a typical gas stove, but I can get my BK over two burners, using a heat shield to protect my thermometer and sight gauge. Apartment brewing at its best!

Enjoy.

Borrow a buddies garrage, I do mine in the garage and shut the door half way when windy. Also may be able to get the buddy into brewing Best o luck.

This !

I asked my Apt manager about using a turkey fryer. Though I was on the ground floor.

She asked me to ask the Fire Department. They said the turkey fryer is classified just like a gas grill. It is not an open flame. :head scratch:

They were concerned about a “turkey fire”. I assured them that boiling sugar water is not a fire hazard.

Check with your manager/fire department. You don’t want to be evicted.

If you are able to brew on the deck, get one of those grill mats to catch any boil overs.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Drymate-28-by-4 ... 1e6f83b40d

Hey,

just a couple notes-

I can get a boil going on my stovetop, but it’s not efficient…

i have a tile balcony which works and there is no likelihood to drip down over the lower balconies, but it’s definitely a concern. My biggest risk/concern is wind.

I’ll consider the turkey fryer… though i have a nice brew kettle which i’d like to keep using. :confused: