Proof that you have become a beer nerd

[quote=“StormyBrew”][quote=“mvsawyer”][quote=“StormyBrew”]LOL, maybe he’s right…sorta.

I was watching TV last night and saw a Bud commercial for their Platinum piss in the blue bottle. They called it a primium lager, but in the very fine print at the bottom of the screen where they say drink responsibly ya da, ya da, ya da, it said …primium lager (Ale in OR & TX…)

i though, wtf???

:cheers: [/quote]
I seem to remember that in TX alcohol law, Ale is something over 4.0ABW.
Beer is between 0.5%ABV and 4.0% ABW[/quote]

If so, we’re so f’kd. :wink:

:cheers: [/quote]
:lol:
TEXAS ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE CODE
SECTION 1.04. DEFINITIONS.

(12) “Ale” or “malt liquor” means a malt beverage
containing more than four percent of alcohol by weight.

(15) “Beer” means a malt beverage containing one-half
of one percent or more of alcohol by volume and not more than four
percent of alcohol by weight, and does not include a beverage
designated by label or otherwise by a name other than beer.

In regards to Texas and Texans, My Sister’s second Husband’s family ( from San Antonio) made it abundantly clear that Texas was it’s own Country before it joined the U.S., and that they could choose to become their own country any D*mn time they wanted to now or in the future. They also taught me that the Civil war was the War of Northern Aggression, the Dallas Cowboy’s walked on water,pointed toes in cowboy boots are for killing cockroaches in the corner, LBJ was the best President we ever had, and you could drink Lone Star in your pick up with a rifle in the rear window. God bless them, but it doesn’t surprise me that they have their own definition of beer/ale. Winking smilie inserted if I knew how to.

[quote=“flytyer”]In regards to Texas and Texans…[/quote]Except for the part about the Dallas Cowboys, they weren’t far off the mark! :wink: (which you can insert by typing colon, the word “wink”, colon)

damn reading this made me hungry for an old style and a chicago dog

or…select :wink: from the list provided. “click”.

[quote=“StormyBrew”][quote=“Shadetree”] :wink: from the list provided. “click”.[/quote]I assumed that the OP was using the other view, not silverlight, that doesn’t show the emoticons, but he could also just switch his view, too.

This happens to me too. I have never complained about the beer my family and friends drink, but now anytime they know I’m coming over they buy some craft beer along with the stuff they drink. Or if they don’t know I’m coming they apologize for the beer they have. I think it’s nice, but kind of funny since I would never complain about what they have in their fridge. :cheers:

TEXAS ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGE CODE
SECTION 1.04. DEFINITIONS.

(12) “Ale” or “malt liquor” means a malt beverage
containing more than four percent of alcohol by weight.

(15) “Beer” means a malt beverage containing one-half
of one percent or more of alcohol by volume and not more than four
percent of alcohol by weight, and does not include a beverage
designated by label or otherwise by a name other than beer

Jester King (Great brewery in Austin) sued the morons at TABC last year over this one and some of the other archaic BS that still sits on the books here in TX. The “Ale/Beer” garbage should be gone shortly from our labels. If I recall, they still need to get label approval for the new labels describing the beer correctly. My favorite is still Sam Adams Boston Lager with the “Ale in Texas” stamp right beside it.

http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/marketing_p ... s_TABC.asp

How about the one where out-of-towner brewpubs can distribute in TX but local brewpubs can’t… :roll:

I’m just fed up with distribution laws in general. There’re so many great beers out there that people are denied access to just because it can’t be supplied directly from the breweries (we run into that issue a LOT when it comes to the taphouse I work at), and while I’m sure there’s a good logic behind it I’d love a better way to get it done.

Considering the latest tightening of Wisconsin’s beer distribution laws was largely just steamrollered through by MillerCoors, I’m absolutely sure there’s good logic behind it. That logic being, “If we can get this put on the books it’ll make life harder for the smaller competitors who are already eating our wheaties.”

An ale that is lagered would be Kölsch, to answer a question from page 1.

@Pooter, that is an oversimplification. That is an example of an ale that is lagered but there are more restrictions on what constitutes a Kolsch. There are a number of other examples of lagered ales worldwide. Altbier is another classic example. Lagered ales are growing in popularity in newer US based brewers also.

I was at a craft beer festival over the weekend at Ohiopyle, which is a rafting/kayaking hot spot in Southwest Pennsylvania. Anyway, one of the brewers had a beer on draft named “Indian Pale Ale” I said to my wife, “Hmm. I wonder what that beer is like?” This river rat girl was standing in line in front of us and responded smugly, "It’s an Indian Pale Ale. Haven’t you ever heard of an IPA?

Considering the latest tightening of Wisconsin’s beer distribution laws was largely just steamrollered through by MillerCoors, I’m absolutely sure there’s good logic behind it. That logic being, “If we can get this put on the books it’ll make life harder for the smaller competitors who are already eating our wheaties.”[/quote]

Not to mention the already high cost of brewing quality brews. If they’re forced to go through distributors rather than directly supplying their goods then the premiums jack up the prices that much more so that by the time they hit the shelves or the taps the purchaser has to run it up again and you’ve got a beer twice as expensive as it ever should have been. +1 for the @#$holes involved in that legislation.