Proof that you have become a beer nerd

My example: Last night at the Brewers/Jays game. ( They now have craft beer stands at Miller park that sell some excellent craft beers along with Lite, 64, and MGD). I’m second in line when the person ahead of me asks what kind of beer the Lakefront Riverwest is. The 800 year old vendor said “It is a malted Ale Lager” I started laughing and got him pissed off when I said it is either an Ale or a Lager, but it can’t be both. I’ve got learn to shut my mouth becai use I swear his thumb went into my Big Bay Koelsch. PS 12 oz. craft beer $5.25 16oz. Lite, Coors, or MGD $8.25. “Life’s to short for bad beer”.

Be glad it was just his thumb…

LOL, maybe he’s right…sorta.

I was watching TV last night and saw a Bud commercial for their Platinum piss in the blue bottle. They called it a primium lager, but in the very fine print at the bottom of the screen where they say drink responsibly ya da, ya da, ya da, it said …primium lager (Ale in OR & TX…)

i though, wtf???

:cheers:

The fact that I got excited to post something when I read this posts title

[quote=“StormyBrew”]LOL, maybe he’s right…sorta.

I was watching TV last night and saw a Bud commercial for their Platinum piss in the blue bottle. They called it a primium lager, but in the very fine print at the bottom of the screen where they say drink responsibly ya da, ya da, ya da, it said …primium lager (Ale in OR & TX…)

i though, wtf???

:cheers: [/quote]
I seem to remember that in TX alcohol law, Ale is something over 4.0ABW.
Beer is between 0.5%ABV and 4.0% ABW

Fun fact… there are certain states (I’m looking at you Texas) who have some ridiculously outdated beer laws which put alcohol limits on what can be considered an ale and lager. Basically saying “if your beer is sold as a lager, it must be under x% abv.”. So you would think this prevents breweries from selling beers there that don’t fit into the category right?

Actually, the breweries just either rename their beers (ex. New Belgium’s 1554 Enlightened Black “Ale”, is actually fermented with a lager strain, but they changed it to sell in TX), or they do this tricky little thing and say “Lager” on the main label, and then “(Ale in TX)” in parenthesis.

I kind of like the second solution because it gives a kind of stupid slap to the face to a ridiculous law.

But did he know that Lakefront Riverwest was brewed with roasted hops and dry hopped malt?

You gotta give some of them credit for trying…

So what happens if you ferment with an ale yeast and then lager it?

[quote=“chaglund”]Fun fact… there are certain states (I’m looking at you Texas) who have some ridiculously outdated beer laws which put alcohol limits on what can be considered an ale and lager. Basically saying “if your beer is sold as a lager, it must be under x% abv.”. So you would think this prevents breweries from selling beers there that don’t fit into the category right?

Actually, the breweries just either rename their beers (ex. New Belgium’s 1554 Enlightened Black “Ale”, is actually fermented with a lager strain, but they changed it to sell in TX), or they do this tricky little thing and say “Lager” on the main label, and then “(Ale in TX)” in parenthesis.

I kind of like the second solution because it gives a kind of stupid slap to the face to a ridiculous law.[/quote]
Legally speaking, the only things you can sell in TX are ale and beer. Lager is not a defined beverage. If you call it a lager, it has to be defined as either beer or ale. So Bud’s new Platinum beverage would be considered (in TX) a lager ale whereas bud light would be a lager beer. Clear as mud? Thank you Texas!

:cheers: beer nerds

I was really impressed with the beer selection at Miller Park. I figured I’d have to choose between High Life and Lite. It beats the pants off the selection at Wrigley Field.

Drinking craft beer at Wrigley would be a violation of the Real Fans Drink Old Style Act of 1958.

(It wouldn’t be a Cubs tradition if it didn’t hurt.)

Drinking craft beer at Wrigley would be a violation of the Real Fans Drink Old Style Act of 1958.

(It wouldn’t be a Cubs tradition if it didn’t hurt.)[/quote]
I don’t mind Old Style on a hot day at Wrigley, but it would be nice to be able to get something from the burgeoning Chicago craft scene there. Beck’s is as fancy as it gets.

My wife and I went out Saturday night. I asked the waitress what was on tap and she gave me the BMC along with Sam Adams and Yeungling. I ordered a glass of chard. Is that beer nerdy? God I hope so.

Funny how little people know about the products they are selling. On a night out with my wife I asked our waitress what kinds of dark beer they have and she replied " Boston Lager, Boulevard Wheat, Blue moon and a few others." :roll:

Living in the State of Oregon is proof that you are a beer nerd…

I have yet to visit a pub or tavern in this state that doesn’t have at least two local craft beers on tap. Most have at least five craft and one BMC…but more likely Rainer, Hamms or PBR than BMC.

Beervana floweth-over.

(It wouldn’t be a Cubs tradition if it didn’t hurt.)[/quote]

Proof that I’m NOT at a respectable level of beer nerdliness: I still LOVE a cold Old Style at Wrigley Field!

I go to Miller Park when the Cubs play there - lower entry price and great beers. It was there I first tasted Spotted Cow.

How about arguing with an associate brewer/tasting room manager about the hop bill of an IPA they make based solely on the flavor and aroma. Having him continue to disagree, consult the recipe and come back apologizing because you nailed it. Little victories. But in all fairness, summit and nelson are pretty unique flavors.

At Target field there is only a 50 cent difference between a pint of MCB and a mug of Surly or one of the other craft brews. Easy decision there…

and my proof is most of my friends now hand me a Boston lager or something in a brown bottle instead of a can of PBR when I show up even though I’ve never once complained about being offered any kind of beer.

[quote=“mvsawyer”][quote=“StormyBrew”]LOL, maybe he’s right…sorta.

i though, wtf???

:cheers: [/quote]
I seem to remember that in TX alcohol law, Ale is something over 4.0ABW.
Beer is between 0.5%ABV and 4.0% ABW[/quote]

If so, we’re so f’kd. :wink:

:cheers:

At Target field there is only a 50 cent difference between a pint of MCB and a mug of Surly or one of the other craft brews. Easy decision there…

and my proof is most of my friends now hand me a Boston lager or something in a brown bottle instead of a can of PBR when I show up even though I’ve never once complained about being offered any kind of beer.[/quote]

You have wonderful and thoughtful friends, I have to keep my mouth shut or end up being the Designated Driver when we go out to bars.