Project "Camel" - Style

OK, just to stretch the neck out of the shell a bit, I would follow Pork Chops lead, but what if we did this as a 1 gallon batch… Need to see where this goes with lacto… I know I’ve screwed up a couple of batches in my time and ended up with pickled beer… DIDN’T LIKE THAT ! Then I would like to git a summer ale that could be offered as a later too… Cream ale styled Pilsnr? Sneezles61

1 Like

Oh geez, I meant lager… Seems as though a brett is pickled flavor, and lacto is… well I can’t respond, never had that, except in yogurt? PORK CHOP! Sneezles61

Brett isn’t really pickley, but has a huge range in flavors from earthy funk to really tropical/over-ripe fruit.

Think of a lacto sour as like an unsweetened lemonade. Shouldn’t be sour milk flavors. If it tastes like that, you’ve done something wrong. But really light, sparkling, super refreshing on a hot day. Not so sour that it removes the enamel from your teeth, just tart and refreshing.

Hah… I kind of got a look from my wife last year at Surly. She wanted to order the Brett Mikkels, at which point I said “are you sure? That’s a pretty advanced beer. Like I can’t drink it advanced.” She ordered it, finished the whole thing to spite me, and had the worst headache of her life for the rest of the weekend. I tried a sip and made a face.

I’ve been pretty disappointed with just about every commercial brett beer I’ve tried. Not that I’ve tried very many, but they’re overwhelmingly… Disappointing. Some places should stick with what they know.

One of the exceptions being crooked stave… Hop savant series is phenomenal!

I hope when this project comes to fruition I hope an extract version will be available. Some brewers, like me, do not have the facilities for all grain brewing. We might feel slighted.

If the project produces a sour don’t lose any sleep about an extract version not being available.

2 Likes

I hope thats how it all comes together, either for extract, all grain, ale or lager. And I think trying a lacto, again, to git others to at least try… Sneezles61

Realizing it’s a bit too late in the year for it, but how about a Maibock? It’s a style that NB does not currently offer and may have more universal appeal than a sour for marketability. No offense to the sour fans, I love sampling them everywhere I go, but I doubt I would ever brew 5 gallons of one at a time unless I got into a nice blending project like the Flanders Pietro was kind enough to share on a bottle swap which was friggin amazing. :innocent:

My vote for an ale would be an Old Ale or a Scotch Ale as several posts in this thread seem to be preferring to keep away from another IPA or PA.

As a side note, for Pittsburgh Craft beer week this year, they brewed up several collaboration brews for the week and one of them done by 4 Pittsburgh breweries is a White Stout, which I’m fascinated enough by that I’m going to track it down at some point this week to try it.

:beers:
Rad

1 Like

Love me some old ale! I’m making one in a couple weeks, 28# pale malt for a 5.5 gallon batch. 60IBU northdown/challenger/goldings. Friggin’ yum! Hope to have something warming for when the snow flies.

1 Like

Ooh… something to add some oak to. I’ve still got a spiral sitting around here somewhere.

Heck yeah! I’m probably tossing mine in a barrel. The NB recipe kits are just so low gravity… I’m shooting for OG 1.125.

Edit - and yes, I’m going to secondary it on brett claussenii. I have a reputation to maintain!

1 Like

Anyone else? Old ale?

Scotch ale is great, too, but I’ve never had one with the complexity of an old ale. Plus I’ve found kettle caramelization of first runnings to be key with the style. Not sure how this would work with extract.

I’d love to hear your guys’ take on an old ale though!

I love the idea. This year, I sprung for the North Coast 2013 cellar reserve. Best thing I’ve ever had. Looking forward to the 2014 old stock I’ve been cellaring.

I had a 4 pack of the regular 2013 release. Held it until last summer. Then my wife drank it all… The sip I had was awesome!

I like the idea of a sour, but i’m not sure it would be very commercially viable for us.
The old ale idea intrigues me quite a bit too.
Unless there are any objections, I think we should go with the old ale.
Thoughts?

I’m game on an old ale. Not sure if you’re correct on the sour. It’s the latest rage but I’m not on the commercial sale side of NB so I could be mistaken.

I’m not going to be a huge help on an old ale, but will happily follow and brew a batch of whatever is designed.

Well the old-school definition is just an ale that was stored for a long time, to develop the “stale” flavor that people desired at the time. I think it turned into a high-gravity brew due to the fact that they tend to store much better than lower-gravity beers. English ale brewed with the intention of storing it for an extended period of time is kind of where my head is on the style.

Oh, I’m with you… I’m just saying I’ve never brewed one, so won’t be much help on recipe input.

Ok, so Old Ale it is.

I will start up the grain bill topic for this.