Problems with haze and particulates in my all grain beer

I thought I had all grain going very well, but once I got to the point of measuring gravity I found that I was always coming up short (very low % abv). The other issue I have had on my last 2 batches is very cloudy beer and abundant particulates that do not drop out of suspension regardless of cold crashing or irish moss.

Since my last batch came out at an OG of 1.030 (should have been 1.043) I started reading up on my mash and found that my fly sparge is probably what is costing me such low numbers. My next brew I will use a batch sparge and hopefully things will perk up.

What really is bothering me is that my latest batch with the OG of 1.030, just had an expected 1.015 FG (~<2% abv), but it has the same haze and particulates in suspension. The taste is not great either.

Is my lack of mash efficiency ruining the color and causing the weird particulates?

My last 2 batches have had this haze and particulates and weirdly enough they have both been my only 2 batches using a counterflow wort chiller.

Could vinyl hoses cause the haze or particulates? Could my plastic buckets be an issue?

Opinions and help are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

mash ph and crush are the usual culprits.

The crush is from NB, it’s their American Wheat. I had them do the crush. The mash ph was in the zone when I finished. I was in a colder room and I did loose 5 deg F during the mash, which doesn’t usually occur. I’m in Maine (reason for cold :slight_smile: )

I’m starting to get frustrated. I think I need to buy another kit and try the batch sparge method to help things out (in my mind anyway).

[quote=“mainestig”]The crush is from NB, it’s their American Wheat. I had them do the crush. The mash ph was in the zone when I finished. I was in a colder room and I did loose 5 deg F during the mash, which doesn’t usually occur. I’m in Maine (reason for cold :slight_smile: )

I’m starting to get frustrated. I think I need to buy another kit and try the batch sparge method to help things out (in my mind anyway).[/quote]

My first AG kit was from NB and their crush gave me very low efficiency. I ordered my own mill the very next day and noticed a big difference when i crushed my own.

Interesting… My first partial mash I crushed the grains with a rolling pin and it came out nice.

I made my own grain mill from a pasta maker and it stinks. I ended up using my coffee grinder due to the tight timeframe to get my beer made. The beer came out fine.

I think you’re onto something, but those grain mills are $$$$. I’m still getting a ton of crap from my wife for my 2 tap keg system I bough a few months ago. I guess I need to just bite the bullet?

[quote=“mainestig”]Interesting… My first partial mash I crushed the grains with a rolling pin and it came out nice.

I made my own grain mill from a pasta maker and it stinks. I ended up using my coffee grinder due to the tight timeframe to get my beer made. The beer came out fine.

I think you’re onto something, but those grain mills are $$$$. I’m still getting a ton of crap from my wife for my 2 tap keg system I bough a few months ago. I guess I need to just bite the bullet?[/quote]

You should be able to ask NB to run the grain through the mill twice. This should get you a better crush

corona mills a fairly cheap , but usable. They are a pain in the ass but it beats rolling pins, coffee grind
ers, and food processors.

I guess I need to grab a corona mill. Thanks guys (gals?)! :slight_smile:

[quote=“mainestig”]
I think you’re onto something, but those grain mills are $$$$. I’m still getting a ton of crap from my wife for my 2 tap keg system I bough a few months ago. I guess I need to just bite the bullet?[/quote]
FYI, if you’re an AHA member, NB will give you a 5% discount online. Just add your AHA number in the comments when placing your order, so they can confirm your membership.

Good to know, was curious if they would do that when I start going BIAB.