Priming Question

Of course I misplace my 101 DVD on bottling day…

When you bring the priming solution to a boil (sugar and 16oz of water) and dump it into the bottling bucket with the fermented beer, how gentle of a stir do you have to give it to make sure its throughout the beer?

At this stage, Im still concerned with over-oxygenating, correct?

You can stir pretty good; just avoid splashing or stirring so hard that you draw air into the beer.

I would just put the pruning solution in the bottling bucket first, then rack the beer on top of it. That should ensure that it’s all mixing together just fine.

I’m sure others will add to this, but that should do it.

Whoops, the priming solution. Stupid auto-correct

[quote=“HellBound”]I would just put the pruning solution in the bottling bucket first, then rack the beer on top of it. That should ensure that it’s all mixing together just fine.[/quote]IME, this is not sufficient - some bottles will end up with extra sugar, some with very little (and there are hundreds of posts here complaining about inconsistent carbonation after racking to mix). When I bottled from a bucket I would gently stir the beer after each 6-12 bottles and always had consistent results.

Same here Shadetree … good point.

ditto. mix again every 6-12, else suffer the consequences.

:cheers:

I dump my priming solution in my bottling bucket, then rack the beer on top of it. I NEVER stir, and NEVER have problems with inconsistent carbonation.

Same here.

Exactly :cheers: how I do it…and I get consistent and good carbonation! Cheers!

Thanks all for the recommendations… I did a hybrid of the 2 sets of advice! I gently stirred 2-3 times while bottling - I was doing sets of 12-15.

More importantly… I sampled some of the product… tasted like flat beer! At least it tasted like beer, was hoping it wasn’t like formaldehyde or anything!