Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Priming: corn sugar vs. DME

I only have a few batches under my belt, and for all of them I’ve used corn sugar for priming. I have no complaints about the carbonation levels in each of my batches, but what differences, if any, would i see if i used DME instead?
Along the same lines, does anyone ever use amber or dark DME for priming, or is it usually just light/gold?

Experienced homebrewers will tell you not to use DME of any color because its fermentability and resultant carbonation is too inconsistent to produce predictable results. The beer will invariably either be overcarbonated or undercarbonated, and only rarely “just right”. Don’t do it unless you have some dire need to declare your homebrew worthy of Reinheitsgebot.

Otherwise, do like a lot of people do and switch over to regular white table sugar (cane or beet sugar). You probably have some in your kitchen at all times regardless of your brewing habits, and it’s cheap and every bit as effective as corn sugar. If anything it is even more effective than corn sugar. You only need about 80% as much table sugar as you’d use for corn sugar to get the same carbonation level.

cool, good to know
now I’m glad I asked instead of just trying it for the hell of it

[quote=“dmtaylo2”]Experienced homebrewers will tell you not to use DME of any color because its fermentability and resultant carbonation is too inconsistent to produce predictable results. The beer will invariably either be overcarbonated or undercarbonated, and only rarely “just right”. Don’t do it unless you have some dire need to declare your homebrew worthy of Reinheitsgebot.

Otherwise, do like a lot of people do and switch over to regular white table sugar (cane or beet sugar). You probably have some in your kitchen at all times regardless of your brewing habits, and it’s cheap and every bit as effective as corn sugar. If anything it is even more effective than corn sugar. You only need about 80% as much table sugar as you’d use for corn sugar to get the same carbonation level.[/quote]

This man knows what he is talking about!! There is literally no benefit at all to using corn sugar. Table sugar is cheaper, more available, and just as affective if not better than corn sugar. Use the NB priming table to measure out specific quantities for your particular beer style.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com