Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Prime Dose problem

Hi.
I primed two cases of my Dry Irish Stout (NB recipe kit - OG 1.042) with Prime Dose more than 3 weeks ago. I used 2 pills per 12 oz bottle and left them in my basement at approx 65 degrees. I would go shake one or tow of them occasionally to see what happened.
I refrigerated one two days ago and when opened and poured into my glass - 4 little rubber like capsule parts came out! And worse - my beer is barely carbonated!

Any thoughts? Thank you!!!

I never bought into the Prime Dose thing. Just prime with corn sugar. At 65, depending on your yeast and how long you let the beer ferment, it could take longer. I wouldn’t worry until you’ve passed 6 weeks.

I have the same thing going on. Bottled an American Wheat and after I had them all bottled up looked over and my priming sugar was sitting on the counter. So I ordered the prime dose capsules followed the directions and placed 2 in each bottle. Now almost 3 weeks later I still have these slimy rubber like gel caps floating around in my beer. I am kind of curious also as to when and if these things are going to dissolve.

Same here. I read the reviews about the Prime Dose and seems there are a lot of issues. I just go with corn sugar.

Thanks guys. so the question I have now is…can I open the bottles and drop in some sugar solution and re-cap? Or something like that? Or is my batch basically toast?
Thanks again.

I would not add more sugar. If you wait a few more weeks I bet it will carb up, also try a warmer spot like 70-80 dregs.

[quote=“gdtechvw”]I would not add more sugar. If you wait a few more weeks I bet it will carb up, also try a warmer spot like 70-80 dregs.[/quote]+1 If you add sugar and the prime dose finally dissolves, you’ll have bottle bombs. In addition to warming, try swirling the bottles each day to keep the yeast in suspension.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com