Back to Shopping at

Primary to Secondary

I brewed a cream ale a week ago Saturday that I expected to get through primary in 3 or 4 days according to the recipe it was based on. It was in high krausen for 7 days and still had a thick top layer when I went to transfer to secondary today. My question is this: Should I wait for the krausen to settle before I transfer? Thanks.

Rack to secondary when fermentation is complete. Test the specific gravity until it is a constant two or three days in a row. HTH.

I would wait for the krausen to fall and then rack to secondary.

Could just be a “heady” ferment, what was the grain bill and yeast used? Some of my batches of similar OG have a barely noticeable krausen, others are foaming out the top. A slow to finish yeast may keep the krausen up for a week in either case.

Here is the recipe I used:

7 lb 2-Row Brewer’s Malt
14 oz Flaked Corn
14 oz Malted Wheat
8 oz Honey Malt
2 oz Biscuit Malt

0.5 oz Cluster Pellets (90 min)
0.5 oz Ahtanum Pellets (5 min)
0.5 oz Tangerine Zest (5 min)
0.25 oz Minced Ginger Root (5 min)

Wyeast 1056

Not all went well during the mash though due to the false bottom lifting up while I was stirring in the grains. I don’t think that the temperatures were even but probably most of the mash was at the 150ish target. Primary has held consistently around 65F.

Back to Shopping at