Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Primary only fermentation

Is it ok to do both primary and secondary fermentation in a glass carboy? Will I get off flavors from spent yeast and trub?

Nope. Go for it. There is a wealth of debate on this issue if you care to search for it on here or any other forum. Basically though, my rule of thumb is to primary at a minimum three weeks before bottling or kegging and to only rack to the secondary vessel when I’m dry hopping, adding cocoa nibs or oak or bulk aging for months at a time. Or of course when all my primaries are full and I need to free one up; but that’s a good problem to have.

[quote=“Ray.Ramirez”]Is it ok to do both primary and secondary fermentation in a glass carboy?[/quote]Sure, but it’s not a “secondary” if you don’t rack to another container, just a long primary. Which is SOP for many members on this board.

Sweet thanks!

not to split hairs (but I’m going to anyway), but racking to a ‘secondary’ isn’t really a secondary fermenter, its just a conditioning/bright tank. If you rack it to another vessel and do an actual secondary fermentation, with fruit or a bug to sour it, THEN its a ‘secondary’

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com