Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Primary Fermintation Temp Spike

I usually make a yeast starter when I brew. This causes my primary fermentation to start within 8-12 hours. This fermentation is very vigorous and causes the temp of the primary fermenter to rise up to 8+ degrees. What is a good way to control the temp during this phase? Also, what off flavors will be created when the primary fermentation jumps up to 76 - 78 degrees?

Thanks!

Use a swamp cooler to control fermentation temperaturre. As far as off possible off flavors; What yeast did you use? What was the optimum fermentation range of your yeast?

see my signature line for ways to keep your temps down.

for off flavors, http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

[quote=“drbgt3”]I usually make a yeast starter when I brew. This causes my primary fermentation to start within 8-12 hours. This fermentation is very vigorous and causes the temp of the primary fermenter to rise up to 8+ degrees. What is a good way to control the temp during this phase? Also, what off flavors will be created when the primary fermentation jumps up to 76 - 78 degrees?

Thanks![/quote]

Chill your wort to the low 60s. With a rise of 6 to 8 degrees you’ll still be okay.

I second the idea of a swamp cooler. Just by having an extra 5gal of water you double the thermal mass and cut the temp rise by half. By adding ice bottles morning and night you can further reduce any spikes to almost nothing.

Once the beer gets past the peak of fermentation, I generally pull the fermentor out of the swamp cooler so the temp can rise a bit and let the beer finish.

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com