Primary Fermentation Bucket

Hi everyone!

I’m quite new to this scene and had a question I was hoping someone could answer. Can I use a bucket similar to this one,

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/cata ... tegory/20/

for my primary fermentation of beer? The guy at my local wine/beer shop said it would work for beer and I purchased it trusting him. But after brewing my first batch, there were some off flavours so I did some more research. The off flavours could have been from a few other variables like sanitization, fermentation temp., etc. Like I said, I’m quite new to this, so I just want to know if this bucket is part of the problem or is it okay to use for beer?

Thanks,

Yes you can use that for fermenting beer. Off flavors can come from a very large list of things you would have to be more specific. Whats your process?

Well, because I’m very new to this, I didn’t want to invest too much to begin with. I don’t have a big pot or burner or wort cooler so I bought a kit where there’s a big bag full of malt extract, and then you add it to distilled water and add the yeast pretty much. There’s no cooking involved.

The sanitizer I have is call 1 Step. It’s a rinseless sanitizer, but I failed to emmerse the entire bucket and carboy. I just mixed the solution as per instructions and scrubed and cleaned it, but after watching a few videos on NB.com, I realized that I have to let it soak in the bucket.

I’ll try again this weekend with a new batch, making sure sanitization is STRICTLY followed and if it’s still no good, then I know it’s a different variable.

Not sure what kind of kit this was, but if it really was just DME, water and yeast, it probably had some pretty bad flavors. No hops? This sounds more basic than a Mr. Beer kit.

The kit was “The Brew House” brand, and yeah, there were no hops involved in the process. Here’s a picture of the kit I tried.

The hops have already been added. Like I said the bucket is fine.

I have friends that use kits like that one you pictured they also use the Mr Beer kits and they are happy with them.

Those kits dont make the greatest beer. If you want to make better beer you will have to spend a bit more and get into extract kits with specialty grains(you would be adding the hops).
If you need any help with what you would need to upgrade or how much you would be looking at spending let me/us know and I/we can help you out with that. Welcome to brewing.

I haven’t heard anything positive about 1 step as a sanitizer. Star San is an excellent no rinse sanitizer. Welcome to the addiction. :cheers:

Thanks for all the input! It’s great learning about all this and also great knowing I can come here for answers from people who have done this before.

And mrv, the thought had crossed my mind about 1 Step. I’ll be looking for some StarSan :smiley:

Cheers everyone!

StarSan or Iodophor. I’ve also use a bleach/water/vinegar solution. All are no rinse.

http://llnw.libsyn.com/p/3/9/0/390da968 ... c76f228ecf

[quote=“s_l_i_m_j_i_m”]Thanks for all the input! It’s great learning about all this and also great knowing I can come here for answers from people who have done this before.

And mrv, the thought had crossed my mind about 1 Step. I’ll be looking for some StarSan :smiley:

Cheers everyone![/quote]
1 step is a cleaner, not a sanitizer. The star san will work better for you. But remember, sanitizer won’t work unless the surfaces are clean first.