Price check

I haven’t checked out my LHBS yet as they just really got started they were a hydroponics only retailer until late last year. However on a related subject I was looking to piece together a recipe and priced it out on NB, MW, and Yakima. all three of them had widely varying prices for the same ingredients but came out almost even. MW was slightly more expensive even with 20% off and even more after shipping, NB and Yakima were about even in price after shipping was considered. Yakima had some lower prices which compensated for the higher shipping prices. I ended up going with Yakima and was also very happy with the orders they were filled, including crush and shipped and I received them in I think 3 days from WA to WV.

[quote=“wmwadeii”]I haven’t checked out my LHBS yet as they just really got started they were a hydroponics only retailer until late last year. …/quote]

LOL. Hydroponics and homebrew equipment. – Not too subtle.

[quote=“JMcK”][quote=“wmwadeii”]I haven’t checked out my LHBS yet as they just really got started they were a hydroponics only retailer until late last year. …/quote]

LOL. Hydroponics and homebrew equipment. – Not too subtle.[/quote][/quote]

That’s exactly my reaction when I first went to Midwest.

FYI, I’m lucky, because Northern Brewer is my LHBS.

[quote=“JMcK”][quote=“wmwadeii”]I haven’t checked out my LHBS yet as they just really got started they were a hydroponics only retailer until late last year. …/quote]

There’s an LHBS chain in the Chicago area called Brew & Grow…

[quote=“BrewingRover”][quote=“JMcK”][quote=“wmwadeii”]I haven’t checked out my LHBS yet as they just really got started they were a hydroponics only retailer until late last year. …/quote]

There’s an LHBS chain in the Chicago area called Brew & Grow…[/quote]
There is one in NY http://www.sunsethydro.com/Default.asp six stores I think. When the one near me opened up they seemed to know way more about growing than brewing but last time I visited were getting more knowledgeable about brewing and had a much better stock.

For the hydroponics they offer “discreet plain box shipping”. Why would you need that to grow vegetables? :roll:

I have the same quandary as many of you have mentioned: brewing supplies not the primary or even secondary focus of my local retailer, limited knowledge from staff, and who knows how long some of the stuff has been on the shelf.

I have bought both locally and from NB.

However, I’ve been looking at Rebel Brewer from Goodlettsville, TN, and I’m thinking of placing my next online order with them. Their prices seem somewhat less than NB and they would offer 1-day shipping to my area at regular rates. However I don’t yet know what those shipping rates are so NB may be more competitive than it seems with a direct cost comparison.

One real plus is that they offer some of the specialty malted grains at ounce prices. I like to try lots of different recipes and like the idea of buying only what I need if I’m uncertain if I’ll want to repeat the recipe or use that particular grain in another brew before it goes stale.

I read through and kinda surprised I did not see anyone mention that shopping online is almost always CHEAPER than buying local. Some heavy to ship stuff will eat up savings or cost more once shipping is added though.
Works that way with most things!
I buy most of my motorcycle parts online because local dealers are overpriced, motorcycle tires online because even with shipping I save a ton!
$99 for a front tire online free shipping, same tire at local stealer is $200 + tax, and that does not include mounting or balancing!
I just needed a small cheap auto part, online was $3.?? and shipping, local parts store $9 + tax. I bought local because I want it Sat. not Monday, but I would have saved about $0.75 online and more important that would have been delivered to my door, local store I have to drive 100 mile round trip to pick it up! Add the cost of trip to store also when figuring prices unless you would be close to there anyway.

I have not bought anything for awhile, but I liked NB’s $8 flat rate shipping. Last order I got 3 kits and and some other stuff and shipping was $8, more you buy on one order more you save.

As for freshness, it’s a toss up!
The only kinda local LHB is over a 100 mile round trip and it’s a small place. I’m sure they do not do a large business so many things probably been sitting on the shelf or in cooler for a long time. I’d trust NB products more after shipping and sitting in a truck than I would the local bought.
Otherwise I could run up to a larger shop for about a 350 mile round trip and they may be fresher or the same but for certain they cost more and the trip is a killer unless I am in the area anyway.

Course if your near a big shop then things may be a bit different, but local probably still cost more.

You can always find something cheaper online and if it’s not available locally or the quality is lacking by all means mail order. But personally I would rather see a neighbor get the money and in return he would buy from me. Keep the money in the community is the whole idea of shopping locally. I often pay more to shop locally it makes me feel good so I guess that’s worth a couple bucks. :blah:

Man I wish I lived closer to NB. Couple years ago I was in Milwaukee and stopped by the store. Bought 3, 50lb bags of Rahr 2-row and 3, 50lbs of Rahr Pilsner. Talk about savings!

How long did it take you to use that up?

Not sure but not too long. I brew both 5gal and 10gal batches and brew often enough. Uncrushed grain kept dry will last awhile so no worries.