Pretty sure this is a bad idea

So a buddy of mine who I helped learn to brew just suggested that since St. Patrick’s Day is coming up, we should figure out how to incorporate cabbage into a beer. My immediate response was “eww, no”

But he seems to be a little head strong about the idea.

Does this sound like a bad idea to anyone else? If not, what might work??

Beer goes good with corned beef and cabbage.I would keep them separate, but you never know .Try a one gallon batch, throw in a few leaves and 1/4 teaspoon of crushed pepper and see what you get. Let us know how it turns out.

Probably a bad idea. I think DMS is described as a cabbage flavor along with flavor of cream corn, etc.

Yeah, definitely a bad idea. I’d brew a dry stout to have with some corned beef and cabbage on St. Patrick’s Day.

That’s exactly what DMS tastes like. And corned beef isn’t really an Irish thing. But I love it anyway. Thinking a good red and a dry stout.

I dare you to try it. Or is it the beer you fear?

Challenge accepted, and when it’s horrible I’ll mail it all to you. :shock:

I have no idea how it would affect the chemistry or conversion anything else (if at all), but if I were to try it, I would put a few leaves in the mash for a pale ale or cream ale. I hope you try it. It sounds intriguing.

I think I’m gonna do a 1 gal batch just to say I did. Something simple so as not to be too wasteful.

Perhaps

I love cabbage but the thought of that ‘aroma’ coming off the mash is enough to turn me off to the idea. Good luck with that one and let us know how it turns out!

anything like that you put in the mash is pretty much lost after fermentation

anything like that you put in the mash is pretty much lost after fermentation[/quote]

So you’re saying that is have to add it to secondary to impart any actual cabbage flavor? If that’s true, I could add some to the mash, and call it a cabbage beer without having to taste cabbage in my beer!!!

??

anything like that you put in the mash is pretty much lost after fermentation[/quote]

So you’re saying that is have to add it to secondary to impart any actual cabbage flavor? If that’s true, I could add some to the mash, and call it a cabbage beer without having to taste cabbage in my beer!!!

??[/quote]

That’s pretty much what I was thinking. At most a mild flavor. Cooked cabbage tastes a little sweet to me so I thought the mash would be the least offensive place to add it while still claiming it was in the beer. :cheers:

If you put it in the fermenter if the beer is no good at least you will have sauerkraut.

Name the beer something cabbage-related and keep it away from the actual brew.