Pretty sure it's ruined

I just put my imperial cream ale into my carboy before letting the tub settle to the bottom. I didnt realize until almost all of the liquid was already poured in. Now there looks like 3 inches of sediment on the bottom… I literally put it in 20 minutes ago, but I’m almost certain i DIDNT do things right. The color is also WAY dark. Thoughts?

Relax. I have put incredible amounts of trub into fermenters with zero I’ll effects. :sunglasses: That looks great to me! Big deal on color. You’ll be surprised how much it’ll change in the next few weeks. All good man.

2 Likes

Thanks man. That helps to 0ut my mind at some sort of ease. Time will tell!

In the future you may want to research whirlpooling and try to keep some of the trub out. Seriously though you’re fine.

1 Like

Me dont worry so much most the time about the color. As long it taste good. Is it all grain or extract. Me did find out doing extract. The color comes out more dark.

1 Like

It is an extract brew, yeah. I even kept my heat lower and boiled at about 207°. The temp dropped to 195 after adding my sugar and DME for like 10 minutes of the last 15 of the boils though and that freaked me out.

They call it mailard effect. Tends to make the wort darker. What you can do do a full boil. And add the extract later into the boil. Like 30 to 20 min before the end. Seems to keep the wort a bit lighter

1 Like

That is actually a lot lighter than you think. In the fermenter it appears darker by a factor of 5. It’s also really hard to have kettle trub with an extract brew but that said the little hop and steep grains that got through are probably settled out/compressed into a thin layer by now. Unless that bottom later is a repitch of previous yeast and then I would say maybe pitch a little less next time.

1 Like

The answer to the question “is my beer ruined” is almost always no. When you rack that to secondary, bottling bucket or whatever try to keep the racking cane above the trub in the bottom. If you suck some up anyway, still no problem. It’s tough to keep it all out.

About @wilcolandzaat adding the extract later in the boil. As an exbeeriment I steeped grain, boiled the bittering hops for 45 then at flame out (well turn off the stove) added finishing hops and the extract. Never really boiled it at all. Surprise! It came out beer. All extract is, is condensed wort someone else did the work to make.

2 Likes

I pitched two packs of rehydrated safale because the target OG (which I forgot to measure after adding the cold water to the carboy) was supposed to be 1.074. There were no grains, it was a straight LME/DME brew. So that’s all just hops and stuff hanging out down there, I’m sure.

This.

1 Like