Pressure Fermenting 10gal keg

I have been wanting to join you folks who ferment under pressure for some time now. The fermzilla doesn’t seem too durable and conicals are pretty expensive…

Anyone on the list who ferments in a 10 gal keg? I have been looking at the below:

Presumably I would be able to ferment 5-8gal batches and serve out of the same vessel with a floating diptube? Anyone have experiences or thoughts? Cleaning wouldn’t be a breeze, but considering it is stainless it would stand up to long soaks and scrubbing . . .

Looks interesting, I don’t have that but recently bought the Spike Flex + fermenter that will ferment under pressure (I think 15 psi ). Cost me about 400 bucks. I was interested more for brewing IPA and NEIPA to do closed transfers under pressure to keep the O2 out. I have been reading up a bit on fermenting under pressure but haven’t really seen anything that compels me to do it. With the Spike my plan would be to let it ferment as usual until maybe the last few days (or after adding hops to the fermentation) then close off the blow off port and let it build up a little pressure at the end.

It would be nice to have a 10 gal fermenter … seems I always see 7 gal or 14 gal out there in stainless. I would not look forward to lifting that beast into my chest freezer (temperature chamber) when its full though.

1 Like

I’ve read about this, but have never done it as I have an infinity for big shiny SS conicals. Here’s an article by BYO that discusses it.

I’ll say, welcome northern counter-part brewer!
I have fermented in my Corny’s a few times… It worked with the pressure gizmo (name escapes now)… but the clean up… that was a huge bummer…
I like my modified Anvils… And cleaning up… is so easy… Even a left handed Swede, like me, can do!
I’ll never discourage anyone from trying something off the beaten trail… I hope you’ll hang around and let us know how that gizmo works!..
I think Tom has a handle on it (just being punny) the lifting…
Sneezles61

Spunding valve

2 Likes

I have never heard of fermenting under pressure, but I may be misunderstanding the terminology or what is being asked.

What would pressure do for a fermentation?
would the excess co2 kill the yeast?

I would imagine the pressure would stall the whole process?

The pressure is at 15 psi’s… Our local brewery does their lager under pressure… claims it knocks a few days off.
Sneezles61

very interesting, i have never lagered a beer because of the lack of cold space required, so i guess it makes more sense in that situation.

I have been out of the game for a decade, so i have a lot to catch up on as far as new processes go.

Well welcome to to the forum and welcome back. Feel free to ask any questions.