Presidential All-Grain

I love the white house porter and honey ale recipes, but I’m cheap and don’t want to spend the extra couple of bucks on extract (especially when I have 100 lbs or so of base malt in my pantry). So I’m just wondering if anyone’s taken a stab at converting those recipes to all-grain.
The recipe for the honey porter calls for 6.3 lbs Gold malt syrup, which is made with “pale malt with a small amount of CaraPils”.
With an ‘average’ efficiency, what’s that equate to in grain? About 8.5 lbs? So, I’m guessing 8 lbs pale malt, and 1/2 lb carapils?
If that’s the case, the rest of the recipe should be fairly straightforward:

White House Honey Porter (AG)
8 lbs pale malt
.5 lb carapils
1 lb Briess Caramel 20
.75 lb Briess Munich Malt
.625 lbs English Black Malt
.188 lbs English Chocolate Malt

1 lb Honey

.5 oz Nugget (60 min)
.5 oz Nugget (30 min)
.5 oz Hallertau (EOB)

Wyeast #1056 American Ale Yeast or Danstar Nottingham Ale

The honey ale recipe adds a pound of gold DME in addition to the 6.3 pounds of LME. I couldn’t find details in the NB inventory, and I really have no clue what that equates to in grain, but I’m guessing about a pound and a half. Using those numbers, here’s my stab at that recipe:

White House Honey Ale (AG)
9.5 lbs Pale Malt
.5 lb carapils
.75 lbs English Medium Crystal Malt
.5 lbs Belgian Biscuit Malt

1 lb Honey

1.5 oz East Kent Goldings (60 min)
1.5 oz UK Fuggles (15 min)

Wyeast #1332 Northwest Ale Yeast or Danstar Windsor Ale

I haven’t plugged these numbers into my brewing software yet, so I’m not sure if they’ll hit the desired OGs, but what do you think? Am I close?
I apoligize if this question has been posted elsewhere, but a quick search didn’t seem to yield any specifics. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

~wicked

My suggestion is to not try to fundamentally transform homebrewing… just DWRHAHB

I just wasn’t sure how close my estimates on base-malts were.

I plugged these recipes into iBrewmaster last night, and assuming a 75% efficiency, the porter recipe looks pretty close to the 1.054 OG estimated by the NB spec sheet.
However, with the Honey Ale recipe, I had to increase the base malt to 10.5 lbs. just to get close to the 1.062 OG estimated in NBs specs.
Does that sound right?

Regardless, I’m going to give these both a go in the upcoming months, and will report back my findings.

[quote=“wicked”]I just wasn’t sure how close my estimates on base-malts were.

I plugged these recipes into iBrewmaster last night, and assuming a 75% efficiency, the porter recipe looks pretty close to the 1.054 OG estimated by the NB spec sheet.
However, with the Honey Ale recipe, I had to increase the base malt to 10.5 lbs. just to get close to the 1.062 OG estimated in NBs specs.
Does that sound right?

Regardless, I’m going to give these both a go in the upcoming months, and will report back my findings.[/quote]

Would love to know how this comes out. Check on some other forums for recipes, I’m sure they are everywhere, particularly HBT and AHA. Would love to know how this comes out, I have 3lbs of Meadowfoam honey I’ve been itchin to use.

[quote=“wicked”]I love the white house porter and honey ale recipes, but I’m cheap and don’t want to spend the extra couple of bucks on extract (especially when I have 100 lbs or so of base malt in my pantry). So I’m just wondering if anyone’s taken a stab at converting those recipes to all-grain.
The recipe for the honey porter calls for 6.3 lbs Gold malt syrup, which is made with “pale malt with a small amount of CaraPils”.
With an ‘average’ efficiency, what’s that equate to in grain? About 8.5 lbs? So, I’m guessing 8 lbs pale malt, and 1/2 lb carapils?
If that’s the case, the rest of the recipe should be fairly straightforward:

White House Honey Porter (AG)
8 lbs pale malt
.5 lb carapils
1 lb Briess Caramel 20
.75 lb Briess Munich Malt
.625 lbs English Black Malt
.188 lbs English Chocolate Malt

1 lb Honey

.5 oz Nugget (60 min)
.5 oz Nugget (30 min)
.5 oz Hallertau (EOB)

Wyeast #1056 American Ale Yeast or Danstar Nottingham Ale

The honey ale recipe adds a pound of gold DME in addition to the 6.3 pounds of LME. I couldn’t find details in the NB inventory, and I really have no clue what that equates to in grain, but I’m guessing about a pound and a half. Using those numbers, here’s my stab at that recipe:

White House Honey Ale (AG)
9.5 lbs Pale Malt
.5 lb carapils
.75 lbs English Medium Crystal Malt
.5 lbs Belgian Biscuit Malt

1 lb Honey

1.5 oz East Kent Goldings (60 min)
1.5 oz UK Fuggles (15 min)

Wyeast #1332 Northwest Ale Yeast or Danstar Windsor Ale

I haven’t plugged these numbers into my brewing software yet, so I’m not sure if they’ll hit the desired OGs, but what do you think? Am I close?
I apoligize if this question has been posted elsewhere, but a quick search didn’t seem to yield any specifics. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

~wicked[/quote]

I did the Honey Porter and did this accept no carapils. I just went with 9 lbs 2 row. turned out really good.