Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Preparing for first PM, could use some input please

Hi all,
I am trying to prep for my first PM and I’m looking for some input on my ideas. Here’s the plan:

Want to do the Tripel and split it into two batches. (don’t have equipment for 5g’s nor the desire to drink that much of the same thing)

first question is, I can hold 152 degrees on the stove…would that be better than/worse than/indifferent to wrapping it in blankets or putting it in a cooler?

Second, how long do you hold mashout temp? instuctions did not provide time.

next, after sparging I (in theory) have 5 quarts of wort (probably closer to four considering boil off) it says to add water to achieve normal boil volume. I THINK that means to add enough water to yield 2.5 gallons after the hour long boil. So, maybe bring it up to around 3 maybe 3.5 gallons.

Thanks for your input…so far this site has been awesome

[quote=“sputnam”]Hi all,
I am trying to prep for my first PM and I’m looking for some input on my ideas. Here’s the plan:

Want to do the Tripel and split it into two batches. (don’t have equipment for 5g’s nor the desire to drink that much of the same thing)

first question is, I can hold 152 degrees on the stove…would that be better than/worse than/indifferent to wrapping it in blankets or putting it in a cooler?

[color=#0000FF]The concern with doing it on the stove top would be the grain getting scorched when the burner is heating. You could add a steamer basket to provide a “false bottom”

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/p ... MgodPkwAYw

[/color]

Second, how long do you hold mashout temp? instuctions did not provide time.

If you are maintaining heat on the stove top, are you doing a 'brew in a bag"? Either way, just a few minutes, 1-5, is plenty.

next, after sparging I (in theory) have 5 quarts of wort (probably closer to four considering boil off) it says to add water to achieve normal boil volume. I THINK that means to add enough water to yield 2.5 gallons after the hour long boil. So, maybe bring it up to around 3 maybe 3.5 gallons.

If your batch is going to be 2.5 gallons, start your boil with as much wort as you can fit in the pot and that the stove can handle.

Thanks for your input…so far this site has been awesome[/quote]

thanks nighthawk

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com