Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com

Pre-boil volume question

This will be my fourth batch. I’ve got pretty much everything down pat (for extract brews that is) but I started wondering today about the kits. The first two beers I made were from recipes and not actual kits. The batch I made last weekend was NB’s Cream Ale kit. I didn’t go with the recommended 2.5 gallon boil. I’ve been starting all my batches with 4 gallons of water and then topping up to 5 gallons after cooling. (roughly 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 gallons of water added)

Is boiling this kit and others with 4 gallons going to mess the flavor or hop utilization up at all or should I even worry about it? From the get go I’ve tried to get as close to a full boil as possible because it’s supposed to make a better beer, but is that going to change the beer I’m trying to make on these extract kits that call for 2.5 gallons of water pre-boil?

Thanks for any advice!
:cheers:

Your should be fine. If anything you should increase the utilization a bit.

At the last second I actually changed my game up and made the kit as the instructions instructed ha… I went for my first 2.5 gallon boil and then I had a scary moment when, because I didn’t buy ice this morning, I was only able to get my temp down to 76, even after adding my water to bring it to 5 gallons. I placed the top on the bucket at 6pm and didn’t pitch till after halftime of the superbowl. I’m sure everything will work out alright but wtf!

Back to Shopping at NorthernBrewer.com